Hard disk reliability

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Notes_Bloke, Mar 24, 2011.

?

Hard drive reliability.

1. Desktop drives fail the most

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Laptop drives fail the most

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Whilst fixing yet another PC with a failed hard drive (for a friend), I got to thinking about all the hard disk replacements I've done over the last 14 years or so, both at work and outside of work, and I've realised that the majority have been 3.5 inch desktop drives, with only probably around 4 or 5 laptop drives having failed.

Since laptops are being frequently moved and possibly banged against objects I would expect a higher laptop drive failure rate, than the more static desktop PC's.

Have you guys who repair PCs/Laptops experienced the same, or do you find that the laptop drives fail more fequently?

Cheers
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the smaller and more compact things become the more chance they have of breaking becomes higher and that goes for anything.

I think with hard drives is that there are certain driver manufacturers which have more problems than others.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Interesting, never really thought about that before.

We've got a whole set of laptops that are 4/5 years old and get used/moved about on a daily basis. yet they still keep going.

I had a laptop last week which was actually screwed, it had been dropped from a high table onto a tiled floor, it was obliterated - but it had a freefall sensor in it, which shuts the disk off as soon as it detects it's falling - and the data was all there when i docked the drive!

I'm yet to try SSD but i think these will increaser reliability once they become more affordable

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Since you've supported a lot more desktops than laptops I'd expect the number of HDDs replaced to be higher. Is the percentage significantly higher though?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Google did a large study on HDDs - doesn't talk about laptops IIRC but interesting none-the-less.

Click

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Over last year I haven't replaced any dead HDD in neither Desktops nor laptops. I've replaced at least 4 server drives though.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I cant say i have seen a pattern with failed drives over the years. I think certain batches can be dodgy but it's hard to pin failure rates being higher or lower between laptops or towers.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I haven't replaced a desktop hard drive in a very long time, but I've probably replaced two laptop drives in the last few months.

I think the fact that they're used on unstable services and have smaller parts mean that they're not going to last as long.

Does anyone remember the line of Fujitsu hard drives a good few years back that were prone to completely random and regular failure?

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In my experience, I've had more PC HDD's fails compared to Laptop ones. However that may be because I've worked with a higher number of PC's compared to laptops :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security