Had an job interview today :/

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by vgarg, Aug 19, 2008.

1. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hi

I had a job interview today for 1st Line Help Support. I think the interview went well and I passed the technical test (multiple choice). However I was told that I would be updated by the agency. Now the problem is that my friend already works there and he told me that he was offered the job straight away after the interview - this was four months ago. He also went through the same agency. Also the agency told me to take my NI and my passport aswell. So I am feeling very skeptical about it. :rolleyes:

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

It's possible that there are several qualified candidates and they need to pick one before notifying. Perhaps they've changed their hiring policies. If you think it went well, I wouldn't read too much into the fact that they didn't immediately offer you the job.

3. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Agreed, don't read too much into it.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If you're unsure, then why not ring the agency and see if they have an update?

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Youll find that common, youll go to an interview to find out someone there is already there choice, no matter how good you are they will promote from within.

Happened to me once, happened to friends, and people have told me its happened within there company.

Dont worry about it, apply for other roles, and think of it as great interview experience.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I dont think thats what the OP means. I think he means that his friend was offered his current position as soon as he'd completed his Interview. The OP is worried because he wasnt offered the job the same way (as quickly).

I wouldnt be too worried about it yet. Give it time, there are often many factors in deciding. Your friend just got lucky to be offered immediately. And if you dont get the job, its not the end of the world.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there

I wouldn't be at all worried about not being offered the job on the spot - I think that kind of thing is a rarity these days, especially in a field such as IT, where you would normally get a lot of people applying for the same post.

Your friend may have been hired under exeptional circumstances - ie - a lot of people went for the post but he ticked all their technical boxes, plus was available immediately, and they needed someone to start *Monday* as it were.

Taking your Passport and NI number details are good, as these are generally standard things HR want copies of (for whatever nefarious reason) when you start a job role. If it's any consolation, I had two job interviews for my current role - the first with a member of HR and my line manager, the second with my line manager and our finance director. That was fun...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Well I've contacted the agency and unfortunately I was not offered a job. The reason being that I was not listening to what the interviewer was saying and kept interfering which is total BS but the interview was otherwise very good lol. The person interviewing me was a very young girl about 23 - 24 yr old. She had a miserable attitude. I also think someone else was offered the job in the morning as there were other people from agency (I spotted it in the entry book at company). Well at least I got some interview practice out of it.

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  9. Qs

Exactly! It can't hurt. It sounds like your interview technique was good so I wouldn't worry too much. Agencies can be annoying sometimes - especially in not contacting you...chase them if you think they're taking too long.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

A good attitude to have - with regards to the interview practice. But if the feedback from the agency is that you weren't listening, then I'd pay attention to it as opposed to disregarding it.

You may think you were coming across fine, but was there something about your body language that was putting the interviewer off at all? Their opinions may be BS - but they're your front line to giving you the job, and you want to give a good impression.

Plus you say she was a 'very young girl' - but she's older than you? lol. You may get interviewed by all types in your hunt for your IT job, so be prepared for the fact that they may not all be dusty director types :)

Good luck on your next interview :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Qs

I thought that too Arroryn!... But I'm too nice to make a comment on such things as they're both older than me :p

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly this. If she thought you weren't listening, then other interviewers might get the same impression. You'd be well served to try to improve on this facet, whether or not they are right. Disregarding their assessment of your interview could be detrimental to your IT job search.

In truth, be thankful that they said anything at all... they could have simply told you that you were "not the best candidate for the job", thereby preventing you the opportunity to correct what may truly be a problem.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

If I wasn't successful with an interview then I would be quite glad of the feedback to point out where I was going wrong, as others have said maybe your body language gave the perception you werent listening, although if she felt you were interrupting then maybe it was more than body language.

Also you say it was a very young girl of about 23-24, I know that for me that could be quite off putting :lol:

WIP: A+