Hack attacks

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Angus, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Hola all, I have had a few attacks on my laptop which Norton firewall stops (I hope). I get asked if I want to see the details of the attack. When I click "Yes" it tells me their IP address and the area the attack originated from.

My question is, is there anything I can do to report this using the info ? Or would that be a waste of time as I have heard some people use proxy servers to hide their location ?

Cheers

Angus

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

unless they actually caused some damage you will have a hard time getting anyone to do anything
    its not technically illegal to do probes and such

i did a ton of that to some CIA addresses for some security training i was doing

you might want to save the info incase they try such things again tho

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Aaah, ok..Thanks for that Phoenix.

Angus.

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You can do an IP lookup on the address - often this brings up sufficient details of the host ISP to report if you see fit. What your looking for in this instance is the [email protected] account.

You may be p1ssing into the wind in most cases, but it is certainly the correct course of action (not necessarily the most suitable and satisfying one :D )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity