Guinness

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Aug 14, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I have just recently finished a home batch made of Guinness.

When my girlfriend decided to pour in half a bottle of Blackcurrent squash to make the taste sweeter. :ohmy

The first pint was not too bad, but after a while it taste awful! :(

Has anyone else got a home brew kit?

If so what brew did you make and have you ever added Blackcurrent to Guinness:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Never thought Guinness was supposed to be sweet tasting anyway, thats the whole appeal of it. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nonononononono!

You can't make Guinness at home! Not 'proper' Guinness anyway. The only decent Guinness in the world comes either from Dublin or (funnily enough) Nigeria. It has to do with the water they use for it - not sure where the Nigerians get theirs from, but the Irish water is from the Wicklow mountains - specifically from a place called 'the Lady's Well' that has some of the purest water in the world.

Its sacrilege to brew your own! :biggrin

Seriously - Guinness & Black is a well-known drink - a lot of people ask for a splash of black to offset the slightly bitter taste. Of course, IMHO this completely ruins the taste, but there you go.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I used to drink Guiness and Black...... but once you drink too much of the stuff and suffere the consequences it's kinda hard to drink again :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye - funny how all the little posters in pubs and the twee little adverts from the forties & fifties wax lyrical about the 'replenishing' properties of Guinness and the fact it is a 'meal in a glass' but neglect to mention the side effects.

For instance, alongside the 'Guinness Is Good For You' poster they should have run another one saying 'Guinness Makes Your shite Brown' :p

First night I got properly ruined on Guinness I had about seven pints (quite a skinful for a skinny 19 year old, believe me) and was, shall we say, 'a little concerned' at what happened when I went to the loo the next day...:ohmy

Oh the embarrassment and shame of it when I went to the doctors and was told this was a perfectly normal property of Guinness and that I wasn't, in fact, dying of some horrible bowel-related disease :oops:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Classic! :lol: :clap

I heard they no longer make Guinness in Iron vat's.
    So those posters about Guiness is good for people who are anemic is pants!:morebeer

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+