guidance to become a network engineer

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shaheen, Jun 3, 2011.

1. shaheen

shaheen New Member

Hello,

I am a graduate in computing & information system, looking to build a career in Computer Networking. I live in Wallington, surrey. Can anyone suggest what appraoch I should take to acheive my goal.

I am considering to complete CCNA. not sure where I can study in Croydon, southeast london or surrounding areas in Surrey.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
    Shaheen

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Unfortunately you fall into the boat of many others - no experience

Becoming a network engineer is no easy feat - you'll need to start out at the bottom, gain experience in 1st/2nd line roles, gradually moving into a more networked based enviornment.

I'd recommend:

Study for A+ and N+
    Look for entry level IT work, once landing a job, stick at it for around 2 years to gain that experience, whilst studying for a CCENT.

Then you can look to get a junior network technician role, then study for something like CCNA - if you're able to work with cisco kit, or get a lab setup at home and self study

Highly recommend self study over schools - you'll save yourself loads of money this way.

To walk straight out of uni and into a network engineer role is not going to happen i'm afraid - it takes alot of years, and alot of experience to get something like this, and there'll be people competing with you for these jobs.

Don't mean to make it sound like a complete downer, but unfortunately thats the way IT is atm!

Either way, best of luck :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    BraderzTheDog likes this.
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Skip A+ and N+ if you are doing certs to help you get a job and take a look at a cert like MS 70-680.

Certifications: A few.
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It states that you should have at least 1 years experience, hence the suggestion to start with A+ and N+

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, it's sad but true in these troubled times.
    You need to gain experience, probably in flipping burgers, while you get the qualifications that will actually help you.
    There are worse places than Croydon, in terms of employment prospects (sorry Zeb) so that's something...

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Rob1234

The N+ recommends 9 months experience.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The OP should get basic certs first like the A+ and N+. The N+ deals with basic networking and networking devices whilst certs like the CCNA deal with general networking and cisco specific devices, no network manager is gonna let someone loose on their cisco kit without any background of general networking first.

The 70-680 is now being said to be the one that should be done after the A+ and N+ but it is a big step and experience would be preferential.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Rob1234

I agree waht you are saying about A+ and N+ are good for getting knowledge but I don't think they will help much with getting your first break in IT a MS cert however will help with that.

Which is why I would recommend the 70-680 for anyone wanting to use a cert to help them get a job.