Guest router account

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Johnd76, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi there folks,

I have a daughter and her friends are starting to get into "internet stuff".

I had one of her friends ask me for the wi-fi password and I told her she couldn't get it.

SO it got me thinking about how I could give them internet access without giving out my router password to everyone, I noticed on my TP-Link router that I can use a guest account...I was wondering how safe this is and is it worth turning on for her and her friends?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Hello,

I know you can enable Parental Controls on the router. I'm not sure the setting applies for Guest Accounts though. Normally you have to enter the MAC address of the child's PC.

What router do you have?

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I have a TP-LINK ADSL Modem router

4. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Do you know what the model number is?

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation
  5. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I have a TP-Link router just enable the Guest Wifi Account give it a different SSID and password from the Main Wifi account and then you can give them these details

Also means you can disable the guest wifi when not required or change the password without it affecting all the other kit you have on the main wifi connection

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys, I did what majorisin suggested...we will see how that goes

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would go one step further (and in fact did when we were fostering) and that's to use a different IP address range so that they have no chance of accessing any of my data, you probably also want to look for a router that limits the bandwidth (unfortunately not something my VirginMedia box does :()

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Penny

Penny New Member

Thank you