Grr Backups

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Problem, my backups having been running fine, for a long time but now for some reason when I look at the backup report in Ntbackup, the Backup files that its trying to write to a tape backup, only does like 256bytes?! Then the next day it will do it all fine and backup the whole backup file, but then ANOTHER (backup from another server to be written to the backup tape) one didnt totally backup the whole file.

I'm at a loss, all the passwords are there, the user running the backup can access the shares, the scheduled tasks run perfect and the task scheduler service is fine and been restarted multiple times.

The event log tells me NOTHING, tells me that it successfully completed and theres no 'errors' anywhere, just the fact that all I can is that 256 bytes of data have been backed up to tape, when yesterday, it was 10GB of data.

And yeah fyi, the backup files its trying to backup to tape ARE there on the servers and I can connect to those backup files from the server which is running the backup to tape.

I havent explained that very well but frustration and pure hatred for Ntbackup has taken over.

Thanks if anyone has the patience to read that and not think I'm a fool :biggrin

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

First thing I would do is ensure that logging is enabled and examine the logs for the backups that aren't working correctly. Should give some more information on what's going on.

You could then post the log here and we could have a look see.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I take it the drive has plenty of space :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Is there any chance that you're accidentally running an incremental or differential backup on the "small backup" days?

What happens when you run a test backup? What happens when you use a new backup tape?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try backing up a few directories and see what happens.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs