Group Scopes in Server 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by PompeyFC, Jan 16, 2008.

1. PompeyFC

PompeyFC Nibble Poster

Hi There, I am taking the 70-290 Monday - joy ! Still I have a free second shot

Anyway I am confused about something - please could you read the text below and then see my question - I think I am just being abit stupid
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Groups with domain local scope help you define and manage access to resources within a single domain. For example, to give five users access to a particular printer, you can add all five user accounts in the printer permissions list. If, however, you later want to give the five users access to a new printer, you must again specify all five accounts in the permissions list for the new printer.

With a little planning, you can simplify this routine administrative task by creating a group with domain local scope and assigning it permission to access the printer. Put the five user accounts in a group with global scope, and then add this group to the group having domain local scope. When you want to give the five users access to a new printer, assign the group with domain local scope permission to access the new printer. All members of the group with global scope automatically receive access to the new printer.

Source : http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...ecab-4165-8001-7adc3c9f804e1033.mspx?mfr=true
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

Now then why would you create a global group for the 5 users and then put that in the domain local group. If you wanted to give the 5 users access to the new printer why not just add the users to the domain local group and then add that to the printers permissions. Then when giving access to a new printer add the domain local group to the new printers permissions ?

or are they suggesting that the new printer might be in a different domain? I am a little confused as you can see.

Any hints ? thanks in advance

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, A+, 70-270, 70-290, Network+
    WIP: Windows 7
  2. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Those are "best practice" and you should remember when you take the exam.
    In the real life and in a single domain you could put the 5 users in a domain local group, and assign the permission to that group.
    Anyway, when you take the exam remember the "best practice" are LAW.

ps : good luck

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680