Group Policy Editor?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by swatto, Jan 24, 2010.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hey all,

Finally got the books through for the MCDST and started reading the one for the 70-271 Exam (which im finding very interesting). Im on chapter 5 but was just thinking the book doesn't mention about gpedit (well not that I can see) but it does tell you how to create Groups etc...Just wondering if group policy editor is out of the scope of MCDST or is it something I will have to research myself? Because I don't see the point of creating groups if you do not know how to assign permissions to that group.

Thanks for any advice :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hiya, Im studying for the mcdst too. I am about to take my 272 exam but I havent came across much of the group policys. Apart from in the 272 when it mentions local security policy and which policies are enforced on a domain ect. It does explain about policies but not in to much detail.

Regards,

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hi :)

Ahh right ok - many thanks for clearing that up for me. Want to try and get at least one of the exams done by June so I can get that Second Shot.

4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Yeah mate I would, The 272 is basically the 271 but in more detail. It relates to applications more than the OS.
    Good luck mate,

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Assigning permissions to groups is slightly different than group policy.

Permissions are assigned to folders and files, whereas group policy deals with rights (ie the right to run a program or manage aspects of the OS).

A GPO (or group policy object) is assigned to an OU, the confusion arrises as you can use groups to filter who has what policies apply to who/what, you can also you group policy to set permissions on folders.

Windows 2003 server uses a built in tool, accessable through AD users and computers, properties and GP tab, but many people (including myself) use the GPMC (Group policy management console) which is a free download from miscrosoft.

GPEDIT is useful for command line in batch files, but generally i dont use it.

Also for local policy there is a tool in XP, in the administrator tools to set policies.

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thanks both :)

Yep I said it slightly wrong - remember reading in the book: User Rights control what the user can do with the OS, user permissions are to do with what can be accessed, shares etc.