Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Tegal, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

Greetings CF community. I was been nosing around before I signed up and was impressed with what I saw - specially the 'Just for fun' room - can't go far wrong with people who don't take themselves too seriously. Can't wait for the next entry in the 'Once upon a time ... 2005' post :D

I work as a Media Producer for a small charity in the UK. Means I get to play with expensive equipment and look cool. However I'm also the Network Administrator - on the basis that I have more experience than anyone else here (funny how NA's don't seem to have the same coolness as media bods, yet are possibly more important ..?) Soooooo, in the long term I want to get into IT and am looking to the MCSA/E.

Gotta ask for input here. I can keep our setup (system is Win2k3 server & exchange, Win2k server & SQL, the SQL bit of which my knowledge can be measured in very small steps) ticking over, adding new users/computers, installing, re-building, etc, but if anything major were to happen to our win2k3 server we'd have to outsource.

I found several companies that provide self-learning programmes, but want to hear from anyone who's gone down that route - pro's & conns. I can outline the best deal I've found if anyone's interested. And practically speaking, that is in terms of jobs, what difference is there between the MCSA & E?

So, reckon I'm gonna be asking training related questions to begin with, but if any of youse has media Q's - I'm your man.

Here's mud in your eye ...
    Tegal

Certifications: BEng, MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Tegal. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Tegal - welcome to CF. Thanks for taking the time on your intro. I'm sure a lot of help will be forthcoming your way. Just sing up in the relevant forums :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

A good search through our forums should answer some of your initial questions 8)

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF Tegal.

MCSA (four exams) is an administrators qualification designed to prepare someone that is familiar with administrating servers with the know how to administrate Microsoft's modern server platforms. You will learn how to install and troubleshoot Server 2003 and how to administrate Active Directory and much more.

MCSE (seven exams) is much tougher and is targeted at people that intend to design complex Active Directory networks from the ground up.

Personally I would go for the MCSA and then think about whether you really need the *E*

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Another big difference is that an MCSE gets to plan the whole thing and then tells the MCSA to do it.:ohmy

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi Mate,

Welcome to CF :respct

11. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hiya Tegal! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  12. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

Interesting, I'm more of a doer, I like to be up to my elbows in wires & chips, or wrestling man vs machine in a battle of wills. Does sound like the MCSA is more my style.

13. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

Mr Observent here just realised that this is a UK based forum! Duh! But that's good news coz it's exactly what I wanted.

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009