Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by leftfield010, Apr 12, 2011.

1. leftfield010

leftfield010 New Member

Hi All,

Been lurking for a little while and i figured that it was about time i registered and said hi, so hi :D

Decided that a career as a sales rep was not for me and at the ripe old age of 33 have decided to try to follow my passion and switch into IT.

Currently self studying for my a+ and i am aiming to get to the CCNA at least.

Quite keen on the idea of contracting but not sure on what kind of level of qualifications and experience i would need before that became viable. Obviously it would be at the bottom end but is there work out there for people with just the a+ and possible the n+

Any advice would be great!

Catch you all around

2. wiedzmin

wiedzmin New Member

Hey welcome aboard,

Nice to see people getting into IT field. I would totally agree with you that it would be a wise choice to start with A+ and continue with N+, so that you can see yourself progress through and gain some basic knowledge for networking and move on to Cisco. Actually it is so much easier starting with N+ and afterwards jumping into the networking field for gears of brands such Cisco, Juniper, etc. Have a good time sir!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome aboard!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

There is wortk out there as a contractor, even in entry level roles. i started off as 1st line role on a 6 month contract - 5 years down the line i'm still a contractor but in a higher technical position now.

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  8. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

10. kevndcks

kevndcks Bit Poster

Certainly are roles out there, just an example of scope for you, i read someone mentioned they did a 1st line role as a contractor so this is one role. Another, when i started out, i worked contracting as a network engineer. So you got a few options open for yourself to explore without a doubt.