Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by central, Mar 2, 2010.

1. central

central New Member

Hello...:biggrin

New member signing in...

I'm central, have been doing some research on which training provider to use to gain my A+.

Found your site and am really glad I did as it's pointed out a few black marks about OpenIT that I was not aware of.

Thanks again.

Central

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

Have you considered the self study route for the A+?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. graphics

graphics Nibble Poster

Welcome

WIP: CCNA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't need a training provider to get the A+. I'd recommend buying Meyers' A+ All-In-One Exam Guide and studying it on your own. If you need labs, get an old computer and work through the labs in PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles, who is a member of this forum.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

As BosonMichael said. You'll benefit a lot more by studying at your own pace. Also nothing will replace an evening spent in front of real PC that you can break and fix as much as you like (without risking your main machine).

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. central

central New Member

Hi Peeps,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

One question though...

I have gained some valuable experience working for my current employer as part time/backup IT Support for the IT Manager for the last 3 years.

My day to day IT related duties involve:

• Setting up user/email accounts within Active Directory and the Exchange Server
    • Administering the company proxy
    • Adjusting/tailoring group policies to suit departmental needs
    • Generally keeping an eye on things whilst the IT Manager is away.

My reason for taking a course is to allow me to move away from my current company into a full time network admin role.

In your honest opinion is it worth while starting at the bottom or would I be better off jumping in at the deep end with a MCSE course?

Regards

Central

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Why not grab some good A+ books and see for yourself how much you know? I don't say that in a negative way. You may know a lot about one subject, little on another, a little bit about all the objectives or know the whole course inside out. I think someone who understands the concepts of the material covered in the A+ has a good foundation regardless if they have the certification to prove it.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

No offense meant but you're far away from being capable of doing Network Admin job.

Also you won't be starting from the bottom. Because you have some experience you have chances to land a role with some exposure to corporate network and learn even more.

Good luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure