Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Draco, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Draco

Draco New Member

Hi all.
    I'm new to these forums.
    A little about me. I'm a graphic designer by trade, but made redundant a year ago and finding it hard to find new graphic design work (excluding the few crap factory jobs I had to do to survive meanwhile). I still do a small bit of freelance design but nothing substantial as I have to keep my prices ridiculously low to keep myself competitive.
    As I continue my futile quest to find graphic design / artworking jobs I'm noticing a large amount of IT job vacancies everywhere and I'm starting to think perhaps a new career change might be prudent. I was always interested in IT, particularly in computer networking as this has always given me grief in previous design and print jobs.

Recently I made inquiries to Advent about training for IT and I was talking to one of their sales reps today. He seemed professional and above board. The course seems good (but intensive), can be done from home, good educational resources, anything from £25k to £40k, 97% job placement guarantee, etc. The course fee will be around £5 fee, which seems extensive, but well worth it if all of what the Advent sales rep says is true.

Has anyone here been on an Advent course?
    What are they like?
    Do they do what they say on the tin?
    Are they professional and caring for their students needs or are they only interested in what money they can get from you?

If everything is above board then I fully understand this will be one of these you get what you put into it situations.

Look forward to talking to you all.
    Have a great new year.

Draco

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hi Draco,

I think the general concensus is that many TP's provide an overpriced and often less than ideal training experience. Use the forum search feature and phrases such as TP, Advent, Training Provider, etc.

TP sales reps often give out very misleading information, I would triple check anything they told you with independant sources.

I would have thought that computers and CAD were an integral part to graphic design these days ?

Have you thought about crossover positions ? Web designer, New media etc.

Welcome to certforums ! :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. Draco

Draco New Member

Hi.
    I'm an expert on the design and colour separation software, but that does not mean that I know the actual computer itself. My knowledge of the computer machine is very basic.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hogwash :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Really after passing all the qualifications you will be lucky to get any job at all....

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Draco

Draco New Member

mmmm, you do you good people suggest?
    I do genuinely want to do some recognizable course in IT