Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Trevor, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Hi One and all
    As this is my first post i'll try not to make it to boring, I have started the A+Essentials course and seem to be progressing quite well, I have been a computer hobbiest since 1981 (ZX81) moving through The spectrum, Amiga, got my first pc in 1995 a venerable 486 ( ahh, ) have been building my own kit more or less ever since, as you may have gussed I am in the silver surfer range, so why am I doing the A+ now, well it's a pride thing and a rather annoying IT guy who lives 4 doors away, ( who has no qualfications) and to make it worse he is only 25 ( we get on very well actually), I am disabled now resulting from a traffic accident a long time ago and I need something to get my teeth into. I have two questions that some kind person could answer,
    1 how is the exam conducted, is it paper and pen? on done on a computer terminal?
    2 Raid5 (striped with paraty) do the hd (3 or more) all need to be the same size?

thanks in advance

Trevor

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Don't worry about your friend, cause no matter how good a person thinks s/he is, there's always someone else who is better :)

The A+ is actually 2 exams taken at any PearsonVue or Prometric testing centre on a PC.

Hope that helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forum :)
    What Ken said- the exams are on a computer, you just click the answer and move onto the next one.
    As for the RAID, I *think* they do

4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome:D

The RAID5 software array can be drives of different sizes. The disks have to be set up as dynamic though and the array will be limited to the size of the smallest used. So a RAID5 array using a 20GB, 30GB, and a 10GB would only result in 20GB size with 10GB being used for parity.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

This link may be of help regarding RAID.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Thankyou the bit about the exam is exactly what I needed to know, now I know I can still wear my hard collar to the exam, makes things a bit safer for me, all I need to do now is pound the books, I spotted a link to Professor Messer site for free tutorials, being american would that make any difference to the content other than mains voltages? I am using M Meyers A+ certification text book and find it easy reading ( at the moment ):rolleyes:does anyone recomend the A+ Passport book by the same author?
    Thanks once again for the warm welcome, I shall probably hangout here a lot now

Trevor

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

no everything is the same apart from the mains voltage, I used the Meyers book and it was in US voltages

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you've got the A+ All-in-One Sixth Ed., that's all you need... you don't need the Passport.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the passport will help for revision but as said if you have the meyers book then your sorted really.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?