Greetings from Spain

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by alaninspain, Nov 20, 2006.

1. alaninspain

alaninspain New Member

High! folks,

I live on the Costa Blanca, south east Spain and run a real estate office. If you would like any information about this part of Spain, e-mail me at: [email protected]

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hey - maybe we dont - and maybe we wanna send spam in your account...

seriously, mate, its an IT forum, not a Real Estate one... if you have any IT probs, give us a shout.

3. alaninspain

alaninspain New Member

This offer was for anyone interested in the country not in property, I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I joined your very interesting forum as I have just discovered that using "Frontpage has led to the code in my web sites being regarded by WWW3 as crap and I wish to start learning how to write good code and have fully compliant web sites. A MCSE, Mike Marjoram, has recently moved to Spain from the U.K and is going to help me, he is also installing Dream Weaver to replace Frontpage.

Comments Please,

Alan

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, Dreamweaver's not much better, or at least it wasn't last time I used it.

You're better off actually looking on the W3schools website and referencing the correct syntax off there.

Hola and buenos diaz by the way :biggrin

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sorry mate - remove your email or type it in another way, so the spam bots dont get ya!

6. alaninspain

alaninspain New Member

Is there any software that would help me to correct the Frontpage code, while I am learning, as the site seams to be in a mess from a compliance point of view.

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Unfortunately there is almost no way to clean up a FP mess other than by hand.

IMHO Dreamweaver isn't as bad as FP when used carefully. But there is no substitute to knowing HTML and being able to fine tune a page by hand.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

If you put a DOCTYPE in the header and then validate using the W3C validator this usually tells you why your code is incorrect.

You could also try HTML tidy, i've never used it but it may be what you're looking for.

9. alaninspain

alaninspain New Member

Thank you Stoney,

I was using Frontpage as when I started the web pages I was completely new to the computer world and starting a new business I was already spending 70 hours a week and too tired to learn html

which DOC type label do you recommend

10. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

If you want to write clean accessible xhmtl you should use the strict one. It wont let you get away with anything but it's a good way to learn.

You should write your pages in xhtml now by the way. It's nearly the same syntax as html but with a few differences.

You can also try using a code compliant web browser like firefox or Opera. If the page displays funny it's because the code's wrong. Unlike IE where the page displays funny because the code is right and the browser is wrong!

11. alaninspain

alaninspain New Member

12. alaninspain

alaninspain New Member

13. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

With sites like that you should seriously think about using asp or something similar.

With asp you would have one layout that you would use for a generic property advert and then the pages get dynamically generated by data in a database. That way when you need to modify the layout you only edit one page. It would suit your needs down to the ground.

However, learning asp is not as easy as html and you need to learn a programming language like c# or vb to use it. Obviously it takes quite a bit of time learn but it could be worth considering.