Greetings. CCNA study material question!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by laimtoh, Jul 1, 2006.

1. laimtoh

laimtoh New Member

Hi all,

I'm currently working as a system administrator at a small company with limited network infrastructure, but learning along the way about network admin. Been there for 2.5 yrs now.

I look after the network on a day to day basis, managed switches and routers to a limited extent, we have some Cisco 1750's which manage VOIP and data separately, but I haven't been into those as they were setup by our provider and I haven't seen the Cisco interface before. I also install any new network points, including wireless in some cases which I have some experience of.

We have draytek ADSL modem routers at all 3 sites and a netscreen for the VPN management at the main site, which I'm more familiar with.

So there's a bit of hardware there which I could learn a bit on when I get more learning done. That's my intro over :oops:

I want to begin learning material towards CCNA cert, and was wondering what the best first steps would be? I'm interested to know what reading materials are useful and web resourses, as I don't want to go through the provided training route as I, ahem, learn at my own speed :oops: (I may be some time... :) )

Are the Sybex books the best for entry level learning for CCNA? I did take a look at them, but they didn't seem to have a book for the latest version of the CCNA exam. There seem to be so many books out there covering CCNA!

I've started to learn the basics about subnetting inc. binary, and know about the OSI model although not yet off by heart :oops: . I've got a basic handle on what each bit of LAN eqpt does, and my knowledge on Windows networking is pretty good, although we do sadly still use static IP addresses for our LAN due to the setup of our stock and accounting system so I have limited knowledge about domains, active directory etc. But as a comms engineer friend tells me every time, "I don't go above layer 4 matey!" so I might not care too much about desktops! Or should I??

Any advice is very welcome.

Many thanks,

Phil.

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin CCNA is a very good cert if you know what it takes to become a CCNA. Im not sure what you level of networking knowledge is but have you considered the Network+ first from Comptia? Maybe just buy a book to learn the concepts and cover the gaps in the knowledge instead of taking the exam.

As for reading Cisco Press is the best of the lot for Cisco certification.. infact this set could be pretty good... try and get some routers and switches to practice labs on.. just dont try them on works router's because you could end up learning CCNA the hard way! :biggrin

Good luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Phil,

Welcome aboard. Although i haven't looked in to the objectives of the CCNA i would take a look at the objectives for N+ first. If you are confident with them go straight to it :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. laimtoh

laimtoh New Member

Thanks guys!

I had read about Network+ and thought it could be a nice 1st step, I'll get a book on exam prep for that and see how I find it.

What books would you recommend for Network+?

zimbo - have you seen the set "*CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Hardcover) by Wendell Odom" before? I'm wondering how its pitched really, I quite like the way Sybex books are written as they explain things in a very thorough and unpretentious way (with easy to understand analogies too), which I prefer to the books which would suit people with a good memory (mine's appalling) and a decent knowledge level (not yet there!).

Is the Cisco official book library similar to Sybex in that way?

* Full title there to remind me in case the link is moved :)

TY again.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

the link wont get removed dont worry! :biggrin

I have looked at the Sybex CCNA and MCSE books but not the Cisco press ones.. I do know they alot bigger and contain more explainations also its good to get books from exam providers' press. Also that author is very well known and has written alot of the ccna exam i think. I have always found the sybex books a little thin on info and i cant use them as my primary study information.
    JMO 8)

7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

A friend of mine who just happens to be an instructor at a local technical college gave me the INTRO and the ICND books which I have started reading. I would also like to get the Sybex CCNA book to go along with my readings.

Also, another requirement for CCNA is going to be hardware. Yes, you MIGHT be able to pass CCNA with only simulators, but there are 2 big problems with sims; (1) Sims won't show you what happens when you unplug a cable and (2) not all sim software accepts all the Cisco commands.

Although I have not personally purchased anything from them, I have a lot of friends who have and highly recommend ciscokits.com. You may want to send an email to Bob over there and ask about international shipping.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

or you could try www.ebay.co.uk

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Been having a little dig at customs duty, importing it as a personal import, there is no duty payable, but there is vat at 17.5% to be added to the item, I'll find out for sure in a couple of days.

This is of course does not include the delivery charge, it would appear on the surface you'd be better searching on e-bay.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i was quoted 50 quid per router with insurance.. its not worth it if you in the UK...

11. laimtoh

laimtoh New Member

Been away from internet access for a while...

What books for Network+ can you recommend? I've decided it would be wise to walk before jogging.

TY.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

hey and welcome to CF

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. laimtoh

laimtoh New Member

Thanks again. I've asked CompTia if the 4th edition Sybex book is up to date enough or if they are updating the exam soon, and if the 4th edition would be suitable thus.

The other book that I read in the Sybex reviews was good was this one - is it a better alternative as one reviewer thought?

http://www.quepublishing.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0789732556&rl=1

I'd just hate to splash out on the wrong book that's all!

15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm personaly not very enthusiastic on ExamCram2 books.

The two books I used for Network+ were the Groth book already mentioned, and the Mike Meyers book.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+