Greetings and salutations! (and a request for advice... :-) )

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Stone Fox, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Stone Fox

Stone Fox New Member

Hi all, I've been browsing the forums for a couple of days now and it seems to be pretty much the fount of all knowledge on IT qualifications so I figured I should probably show my face and ask some advice.

I'm 30years old, and IT has always fascinated me. I have been (and am doing) IT sales but I have years of experience working with hardware; I worked for the tech guys (doing PC Worlds repairs) for six months then spent a couple of years repairing PC's for a smaller, local computer shop.

The company folded unfortunately and I've gone back to IT sales, but I miss tinkering. I'm thinking a career in IT would suit me a hell of a lot better... Sales makes me miserable.

I'm thinking that I should take my A+ exams (I've run through loads of sample exams online and passed them all with ease) then possible start studying the CCNA...

What kind of work (and more importantly, pay!) would I be able to get with an A+ and a CCNA? Bear in mind I can get referenced for several years of fixing PC's and troubleshooting home networks.

Where would the logical place be to go from there? I was thinking possibly the security route. I've been learning linux lately and am capable of using a security distro like Backtrack to crack WEP networks, but what would be the qualification to go for? Comptia security+ ?

I love IT and most aspects of it, so my career progression will (I think) mainly be steered by where the money is.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully recieved!

2. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

There are too many variables for anyone on CF's to make a judgement on what salary you could expect!
    -Luck
    -Personal appearance

If you dont have the Cert's or any solid experience then i would have to guess somewhere between 15K-25K (sorry if this sounds disapointing)
    -From your post i feel It would be ideal for you to be thrown in the deep end and learn the job from there, Although this would be a great opportunity, someone would have to give you the chance! have you developed a good network with other IT collegues over the years who may be able to put in a recommendation?

3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Stone Fox, and welcome to CF:). In terms of how to break into IT which you have to a degree would depend on your drive and determination.

IT is a very competitive market and is no longer sadly speaking a quick means to earning the six figure £££. However, I would advise you go the route you feel more interested in i.e. Microsoft or Cisco.

But bear in mind experience would eventually get you the money range you're aspiring at. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Stone Fox

Stone Fox New Member

first off, thanks for the reply.

I do have a few contacts, but unfortunately not well placed enough to help me get a job... :-(

let me re-phrase the salary question:

if someone with a CompTIA A+ and a CCNA, and a couple of years experience fixing PC's and home networks were to look for a job, what kind of job titles and salaries do you think they would be looking at?

Admittedly this is kind of chicken counting in the pre-hatching stage but you've got to think ahead...

5. Stone Fox

Stone Fox New Member

thanks onski.

Could you give me a quick breakdown of the difference between the Microsoft and Cisco route please?

from my understanding they are both roughly the same training but with microsoft giving more focusing on software and cisco on hardware...?

Also, the impression I got was that the Cisco training tended to amalgamate into fewer, bigger courses and less individual exams...?

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi again,

You've answered your question as Microsoft focuses more on software and operating systems, servers and applications. On the other hand Cisco is mainly about networks, internetworking. routing and telecommunication as in VOIP - voice over ip.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell