Greetings All

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by BamBam, Jan 11, 2006.

1. BamBam

BamBam New Member

Evening!
    I've recently decided to add some skills to my CV and will soon be resposible for a small network. I have a good grounding in computers and the way i want to go is A+,N+ MCSA.
    After reading all the great comments here about distance learning courses and the pros and cons i've finally found a college in London who seem to offer a sensible course.

It's at http://www.london-college.com/ and is a classroom led course.
    My only concern is that they state they can qualify you on A+ and n+ in 4 weeks each, a total of 24 hours across 8 classes for each course.
    Does that seem realistic to anyone?
    I have had the meetings with skillstrain etc and they just seem overpriced.

Any advice appreciated.

This site has been a massive help over the last 24hrs, btw

WIP: MCSA
  2. BamBam

BamBam New Member

Any help would be appreciated. :blink

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sorry Bam Bam, I must have missed this thread. :blink

8 weeks for both courses does seem like a short time, is it 8 weeks full time, or 8 weeks at 3 hours per week?

Full time then perhaps you will be able to complete the requirements, but in such a short space of time how much information do you think that you will retain long term?

8)

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Exactly as Simon said :thumbleft

Though if you're currently working in an IT tech environment, you're at a distinct advantage to quite a few A+ N+ learners.

Have you considered self-study at all? That seems to be the popular option in these parts!

Good luck whatever you decide!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. BamBam

BamBam New Member

it's 4 weeks each at 6 hours per week. The guy on the phone did say that there would be a lot of home study also during the period which makes sence.

possible?
    How long would other people expect this cert to take if going down the home study route? I am fairly experienced with comps, just not networking.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If it is 6 hours of hands on experience per week, covering the theory in your own time, only discussing areas you are uncomfortable with in class then it doesn't seem so bad. For the A+ at least. The Network+ may require more study.

The thing that would concerm me with doing the course in such a confined timescale is the rate of information that you retain, as I've already mentioned. You may find that you only start to touch the surface of what you really need to know before you need to move onto the next objective, putting you at a disadvantage when it comes to the exam.

How much is this course going to cost you? Does that price include the Three external exams required to gain A+ and Network+ ?

8)

7. BamBam

BamBam New Member

A+ is 850 N+ is 1050

books and Comptia certs included. Vat Inc

I'm going to look at the place this afternoon it's in Central London. Will report back.....

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thats almost £2k for just the A+ and the Network+ !

Personaly I'd be buying this book for the A+, buying some old PC's, and paying the £210 +vat that it costs for the two A+ Exams.

Then doing simillar for the Network+.

But that's just me. 8)

9. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Not just you Simon, i would do that too. And most others on this board i hazard to guess...2K????? Don't waste your money bam bam, you can do it yourself and save £1500!

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  10. BamBam

BamBam New Member

All good advice, however i was wrong. It's £1050 for both courses back to back plus.
    I'm gonna get the relevant Mike Meyer books and make a start there. Maybe do just the N+ at the college which is £750 Thanks for your input.