Great Geek Debates: Kirk -vs- Picard

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Jun 30, 2009.

?

Kirk or Picard

1. Kirk

17.6%
  2. Picard

82.4%
  1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/06/great-geek-debates-kirk-vs-picard/

Discuss.

As a TNG child and a fan of Shakespeare both, I have a bias towards Patrick Stewart that is only helped by the fact that the most recent viewing I saw of Shatner was on an early Family Guy episode where they really take the mick out of his acting style.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Pfft. Has nothing to do with Shatner or Stewart. There is no contest. Picard wins, hands-down.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

You're meant to expand on it a bit more there, Mikey :)

I mean, yeah I do agree. On the Captain level, IMO Kirk was a hotheaded nincompoop who probably would have got kicked out of Starfleet for the mortality rate in his crew alone :)

4. BosonMichael

Picard rules.

Expansion complete.

(EDIT: Come on, isn't it OBVIOUS? :D )

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Kirk would just going in for the kill on Picard but Picard would use strategy to beat Kirk :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Picard FTW
    he even has his own song!
    lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. BosonMichael

Hmmm... I think this thread is lacking something... something pretty major, but I just can't quite put my finger on it... hmmm... let me see... :hhhmmm

8. Arroryn

lol. Don't worry. Maybe a brave Kirk fan will peek their head over the parapet later.

The comments on the article were much more interesting than you lot.

9. BosonMichael

That's not what's missing... the thing missing is some way to track who votes for which captain... if only this forum had a way to DO that!!! :twisted:

10. BosonMichael

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have Kirks album where he just sort of talks. Mr Tamborine man is the business :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Thread appropriately amended

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Generally Picard is the better Captain and probably the better human being. That said, Kirk knew how to "score" women in a heartbeat while Picard often didn't know what to do with a woman. Of course, Picard's relationships, while never permanent, seemed to be based on more than just momentary sex. Neither Captain had a clue how to parent or talk to kids.

Kirk could be "one of the boys" while Picard was really aloof with his crew. In the STTOS episode "Wolf in the Fold", Kirk was out with Scotty and McCoy cruising various bars and leering at belly dancers. Ok, not exactly dignified, but he was the sort of Captain that at least the senior (male) officers could relate to. Picard would rather be pounded flat than spend any downtime with a member of his staff. In the STTNG episode "Captain's Holiday", Riker played quite a prank on Picard by getting him to buy some sort of sexual icon statue on Risa. I suppose Riker thought it would get Picard laid (he did in that episode, but not because of the statue), but instead, all that happened was Picard getting embarrassed. Kirk would have laughed if McCoy had played that prank on him, and shared stories about it with McCoy over Saurian Brandy when he got back to the ship.

In an out and out fight, I'd rather have Kirk watching my back. If a Klingon (Kirk's era) was coming at me with a disrupter, Kirk would blow him away and ask questions later. I wouldn't even think about worrying. Picard would probably try to talk the attacker to death while my molecules were being blown half way to Rigel IV. On the other hand, if I needed to actually figure out a relationship with an alien species, have an intelligent conversation, or just borrow a good book, I'd rather have Picard around.

I doubt I could stand long exposure to either one in real life. Kirk's swaggering and arrogance would get old fast, while Picard's stuck up arrogance would get old equally fast. Just stick me on the lower decks of either ship where the "real" people live and work, and I'll be fine.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You've also got to take it in context. I grew up with Kirk and all fans drooled at the prospect of something new coming along and when it did it was great.

So, with hindsight, yeh Picard but at the time Kirk was better than anything else around !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  15. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

It's about time someone contributed some intelligence to this thread. :biggrin

I vote for Chewbacca.

(do I win a prize?)

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  16. Len

Len Byte Poster

Picard FTW

:biggrin

If there was an option, I'd definitely choose Locutus. XD

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I suppose it depends on what you're voting for.

If I was looking for an interstellar statesman of the future, it would have to be Picard.
    Your couldn't run the federation with Kirk - all he did was hit people, shag them or blow things up.

If there is a vision of the future, I hope it is along the Picard lines.

But is that me embracing today's PC attitude towards everything?
    Let's talk and disable their phasers rather than fight.

Is mankind's best chance at survival actually to go out there and give those aliens a proper thump up the bracket?

Or shag them?

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  18. Ubergeek

Ubergeek Bit Poster

I didn't know that Kirk had been trained by the British Army! :ohmy

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2K3
    WIP: VCP, MCSE 2K3 (Security)
  19. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Kirk was far more fun, he was a warrior, where as Picard was a diplomat and that shone through. In Kirks era it was all new and wars were still being fought, where as by the time it get to Picard its all polite verbal fencing. However in my opinion Sisko combined the ability to negotiate with the ability to throw down when needed. So I would vote for him if there was an option to, theres not so Kirk FTW

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  20. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Make it so number 1 :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs