Great find

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Swither, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Swither

Swither New Member

Hi All

I only recently found these forums and boy am I glad I did!

Having been made redundant and deciding that I wanted to pursue an IT career, I almost signed up with computeach for the CompTIA A+ course to the tune of £1995 :eek: until I read a few things here.
    I guess the distance learning lot are all comission based, as the computeach office or advent, etc etc couldn't give me a price on the course over the phone.

Being unemployed I was given a stressed pitch about finding me a job while I was studying.
    The local collage came through also yesterday with details of the same course for £360, bit of a difference and I just have to hold off until September. I might start self-study while I wait, but I think I'd need a tutor to kick me up the back-side so the collage sounds best for me.

Anyway hello and some really great stuff on here that has helped me already. :)

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+ - soon!
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

A college does sounds right for you but if you decide to self study and need assistance you can ask on here:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

bet your glad you found this place now then! 360 sounds about right for the course. years ago (i did pre 2003 A+) i paid about £230 ish I think for an A+ college course so 360 is about the money! still you could probably buy a book and a couple of old ebay pcs, and still be able to pay for the exams for £360. But then if course self study is a technique that we all have to learn so may not be best for you at this time.

I know I have trouble self studying on occasion when there is something decent looking on telly or I can hear beers calling me from the cupboard. :morebeer

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Swither

Swither New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

The collage information suggests this book A+ Complete Study Guide by Sybex, but as far as I can see Amazon hasn't got it, but the Register has the latest version 2009 for sale in May. The collage says they refer to this book specifically.
    Is this the same book by a different publisher mentioned on these forums as this book

I might grab a copy of the other books mentioned here and start a self study and still do the course in September.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The most recommended book to use is compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers.

If you have spare pc to mess about with I would also recommend getting PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd buy Meyers AIO, which is only £18 on Amazon at the moment, and try self-studying first.
    If self-study isn't for you then at least it's only cost you £18 to get a 6 month head start.
    Have a look at the free vids at Professor Messer.com as well.
    This'll allow you to gauge how well you think you'll do self-studying before you spend any more cash.
    Since you're unemployed you're cash-poor but time-rich. Don't sit around doing nothing until September, make the best of a bad situation.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

9. Swither

Swither New Member

Was thinking the same, so ordered the Meyers book.

Cheers for the advice.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!