Graphics and Audio Drivers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Feb 27, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hello again people, im currently doing a Format on my sisters virus riddled computer. What i need to know before deleting the partition etc is how do i know which is the correct Audio driver to download? I know the Graphics Adapter is an SiS 651C... Obviously this would be downloaded from www.sis.com.

Or if i could find out what motherboard is being used by searching in windows files somewhere i could then locate the best possible place to download from. All help is welcomed.

Thanks Guys

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

This is just a guess, but usually SIS Graphics cards are built onto the MOBO. So I'll assume that the audio is onboard aswell.

When you have completed the install try doing a Custom Windows Update, to see if MS has drivers, they quite often do.

Other than that you could open the box up and look for the MOBO manufacturer on the board.

There are also tools that show you what H/W you have installed in the system. The names of the allude me at the minute, but I'm sure someone will know.

You couls also try running dxdiag from a CMD prompt.

8)

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Number one question - where is the CD for the motherboard?

This is the most crucial source of drivers these days. This will probably get most things going to the point you can get updates from the Internet.

Many motherboards include an AC97 sound set, and the drivers will be on that CD, along with the PCI drivers so it will recognise it!

If the video is a plug-in card rather than on the motherboard there should be a CD for that as well.

The final thing - be prepared for a phone call to M$ on an 0800 number to reactivate - the activation system is much tighter than it used to be.

And if it is an old XP installation disk have a copy of SP2 handy.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Belarc Advisor springs to mind, also the built in system information will give you an idea, and also what is currently listed in device manager.

I agree with Harry, you need the motherboard drivers too, they will prepare the operating system to make use of all the features of the board, PCI, USB, AGP, Sound, Video etc

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for that guys, Reply to hbroomhall regarding the main Motherboard Drivers CD, Well being a female(my sister that is) and deciding to purchase the computer from Curry's (of all the places in the world :blink ) I think you will understand when i tell you they did not provide one, Its not a realtek AC97 audio driver(as so many are these days). But it is integrated into the motherboard(along with the Graphics as well).

What i did do was go onto SIS's website and did a check for the hardware installed on the pc before i Formatted the drive.
    It gave me all the drivers i need to ''supposedly'' get all things working again! Not the case, gone back onto the net and downloaded the audio driver, and for some reason it is still not working....... Maybe a case for me to get the hammer out and thoroughly bash it through the side of the tower!!!

Any other suggestions guys?

Cheers again

Craig

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Craig, does device manager show any issues with the sound drivers, Yellow exclamation mark or a red cross?

Have you got the speakers plugged into the correct sound o/p socket?

Sorry, I know that is a silly question but without more info, I will always keep it simple. The KISS principle :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Yes all speakers etc are plugged in correctly. Just checked the Device manager the following have Yellow Exclamation marks....
    1.Multimedia Audio controller
    2.NTL usb cable modem(this is due to the fact i dont have the install cd).
    3.PCI modem
    4.USB controller
    5.Video controller
    And also in system devices, the following has an exclamation mark....
    SiS accelerated graphics port

Craig

8. hbroomhall

That lot implies you haven't installed the drivers from the motherboard CD! :biggrin

If this is a Currys machine what make is it? If Packard Bell then you can sometimes get the restore CDs from them. Depends on how old it is.

Harry.

9. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

It is a packard bell, And also about 6 months old. It's mainly the sound i need now(all else is ok) as ive downloaded the drivers from sis .com. Although the Audio Driver does not seem to be working, I try and download it and it just doesnt let the installation complete.

Any other idea's???

Craig

10. hbroomhall

As it is under guarrantee get the restore CDs from Currys. This will restore it nicely to factory condition.

The SiS drivers you got clearly don't 'fit' the machine as evidenced by the errors showing in Device Manager.

Edit: have things changed since your posting showing the errors? The sound drivers won't install unless the PCI drivers are correct.

Harry.

11. hbroomhall

Another option: this has support files as long as you have the model and serial number.

Harry.

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you could always go to Driver Guide and this has been my haven when reinstalling machines that people have lost their CDs. One guys I had to do over Xmas...he didnt have any discs at all!! I had to look at this Mobo model, graphics model and DVD drive model to get all the drivers. So try that and you wont be lost....

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys, but all is working well now. Graphics, audio, everything. No exclamation marks in device manager :biggrin

Cheers guys

Craig

14. hbroomhall

Great - glad to hear it. :thumbleft

Now are you going to educate her on how not to let it happen again? :biggrin

Harry.