Graduated in August. Still no job in IT.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by GforceJohn, Jan 15, 2013.

1. GforceJohn

GforceJohn New Member

I just graduated in a degree in Security. I have had multiple interviews but have had the same response. Not the right fit, I was lucky enough to get a job in a Physical Security company. But my heart was in IT.

I am not complaining, I am more writing this because the lack of high level computer experience that I am used too from school is kind of diminishing and I am forgetting some simple commands.

How do you keep on top of your "game" what books, blogs, programs, channels on youtube do you stay on consistently when you're not doing IT or in school?

I feel like I have to self teach my self certain things.

I am in the lower part of NY, the entry level out-of-school Computer Security job field is not there.

-John

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It sounds like you're just looking for entry level IT security jobs

To be honest, change what you're looking for...

Try support, helpdesk, networking, etc... To get your foot in the door. Do not feel as if any IT job is beneath you as it all helps, my education relating to IT/computing before I got my first job in IT was in software engineering/programming but could not get a job in it. Changed from looking for software engineering jobs to support and got one soon after.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Also Google graduate employment schemes. Just done a quick search for you here .

Most large companies have a graduate scheme that isn't always advertised outside of their own website.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As said try looking at entry level IT roles that aren't security focused, or at the least not entirely, as it'll open up a wider range of options.

Working in security myself it wasn't until a good few years in I was working solely in a security role.

Also way back when I graduated in a July and didn't find a 'proper' full time role until the following January/February.

5. GforceJohn

GforceJohn New Member

Thanks guys.

Since I have posted this I have actually been quite lucky to score a couple interviews. IT Audit and a support position.

6. JamesEubank

JamesEubank New Member

Hey, this is James,
    you need to get experience first, otherwise all efforts would ultimately become useless..., Just get the job where you can learn and get experience, I mean a job offering small package