Graduate Schemes

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jiser, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Its 4 am and I should go to bed but hey, graduate schemes? What are your thoughts on this? Do you have any experiances? Do you think its worthwhile trying to get into one?

How many have you have been graduates and either successfully been in a scheme etc or failed? I.T. Graduate positions I mean. Looking around I have found the benefits and salary usally range from 24k - 30k + plenty more.

My friend has recently been offered a 26k job at google as a field tech + benefits. He has had 6 months previous 'internship' experiance with google and yet he knows nothing about servers or anything. Yet you look on the I.T. support job roles and you will find jobs at 24k which require far more experiance + certs.

The whole thing appears unfair? I think more and more every day trying to get into a graduate scheme in the next few years would be more benefitial than applying to non graduate I.T. support jobs. Maybe graduates are of a higher calibre?

Anybody worked for RM? There graduate scheme seems good. Allthough I don't like the idea of their networks. My two years school I.T. Support role (managing two schools 70+ clients per school) + other year and planned certificates should be a good starting point. Plus my experiance with their products. I plan to prolong the applying as I want to do a fair bit of travelling and gaining certificates. - The reason also for doing this is I want to be able to advanced quicker after prooving myself than lets say another person with less certs/quals/experiance.

Anyway my point of this post is: Seems some of these I.T. job posts are nothing salary wize compared to the graduate schemes out there. Yet you have basically a 21 year old with no experiance and qualifications other than a BSc taking the job compared to a guy with 3 years experiance and many certs being on half the wage of the graduate.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Companys see the potential in a graduate, they see someone who has built a foundation, they have proved core competencies and the ability to learn complex things, they see a person that can be invested in for the future of the company.

Sure quals can be over valued, but so can experience, it wasn't so long ago in the last stages of the british empire that you could see people hold down jobs for 20+ years and contribute absolutely zero, at the end they even got a pension and a golden handshake...

If you have 3 years IT experience how do I know you haven't been doing basic tasks for 3 years ? How do I know you will be able to learn and understand googles processes and infrastructure ? Google use alot of in house developed stuff the basis of which originate from academia, they wrote their own distributed filesystem, they also use alot of open source, hows an MCSA gonna help with that ? Whats more they will need yet more new ideas to stay ahead of the competition, how does a cert prove original thinking ?

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Its swings and roundabouts.

Some places value experience over certs/quals and others think the other way round.

Look at the guy's who founded Google, they both dropped out of their PHD's because they had an idea that took off.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Good point ! Commercial success clearly largely down to your efforts will trump everything else.

The people who founded google will never have to apply for another job, people will pay for their advice on the lecture circuit and offer them lucrative board positions, and their stock means they don't even need to lift a finger for the rest of their life unless they want to.

But they probably wouldn't have met or conceived google if they hadn't embarked on degrees and doctorates...

5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I am doing a graduate job they are great more pay then entry level jobs and they train you in a wide area of IT and they are grooming you to progress in the company they want you to climb the ladder within your company. Is it fair that a 21 year old with no experiance and qualifications other than a BSc taking the job compared to a guy with 3 years experiance and many certs being on half the wage of the graduate yes! as these jobs are aimed at graduates and not him and to be fair life ain't fair and if that is the least unfair thing that happens in your life you have had a good life.

Certifications: A few.
  6. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

A lot of Graduate schemes are a slap in the face to people with IT degrees and certs who have undertook a lot of study and hardwork to which they expect to earn something at the end of the day. I have seen people with degrees in English climb to high ranking IT jobs under graduate schemes, yet IT graduates themselves are not even allowed to apply for the scheme. Many of these schemes available specify you must have a non-IT 3rd level qualification. If anything, it's pretty disgraceful given the amount of people who really want to get into IT and are not given this opportunity.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm a graduate working in a company that has a graduate recruitment scheme and I never really had the drive for it until the past year or so - I'm seriously considering applying for it with the hope that I can get in, not only on skills/academic record/experience etc, but also the fact that I'm already an employee.

My focus would be on project management (the only one of the 6 disciplines offered that I'd steer towards) but I would really want to continue on the support side, I suppose a technical project manager.

If you can get in on one I think they can work massively to your advantage, but I think you have to really want to do it and put 110% effort and time in to get the most out of it. On the other hand, they aren't the be all and end all of it, and many people have fantastic and varied careers with and without degrees and graduate-recruitment experience (people I'm thinking of, and not limited to, from here Phoenix, zeb, BosonMichael, simon, trip)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293