Grace period on exams

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Frontier, May 10, 2008.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I have heard that in some cases, ms exams that are scheduled to be retired sometimes have a grace period. This means that you can still take the exams at a test centre for a short while after the exams have retired. If thats the case, does that mean you could still gain a cert even after it has been retired? for example, when the mcad retires and exam 70-320 was taken a month after it had retired and it was the final exam to gain an mcad, would you still get mcad status and would that show on your transscript - if you get what I mean?

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Frontier to be honest you are best checking with the testing centre and even preferably Microsoft to get first hand accurate information.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Until recently, Microsoft has never given a grace period for exams scheduled for retirement. And the grace period for 70-292 and 70-296 is an unofficial one... they could disappear at any time.

Although the exams that will grant you the MCAD may retire, the MCAD itself will never retire. Thus, as long as you have fulfilled the requirements for the certification, you can still get the certification.

Consider this scenario: Suppose I had taken all of the core exams for the Windows 2000 MCSE certification, but I still had yet to take my elective. Could I still get the Windows 2000 MCSE even though 210/215/216/217 are retired? Certainly! All I need to do is take a valid elective exam for the Windows 2000 MCSE track.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!