GPO + Terminal Services

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jef, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jef

jef Bit Poster

I've just been doing practice tests recently and reading into one question regarding terminal services, and it's on about restricting users to not being able to use explorer to access other stuff on the network, and turning off the options 'No "computers near me" in my network place' and 'No "Entire Network" in my network places'.

Anyway, I'm wanting to know if I can create a seperate GPO to impliment these rules with, to keep it all modular, as it's only for Terminal Service users really. (I know this is only 2 options and it's hardly worth it, but it's the principle I'm thinking about).

If I create a new GPO on my domain, does this make a carbon copy of the currently implimented one? or use a default one. and if so do the policy settings on the original take presedence over the secondary one? Or is this just a daft idea all together?

Cheers
    James.

Certifications: nowt.
    WIP: bits and bobs
  2. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Goes in this order:

The local Group Policy object (LPGO) is applied.

GPOs linked to sites.

GPOs linked to domains

GPOs linked to organizational units. In the case of nested organizational units, GPOs associated with parent organizational units are processed prior to GPOs associated with child organizational units.

When you enforce the GPO it means its settings take precedence.

I would stick the GPO you intend to make at the OU level and adapt depending on whether it is a user or computer configuration

3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

What Hippy said plus the following:

i) Default GPO will apply to first.
    ii) Sub GPO's under the Default GPO are applied as follows:

- If Parent GPO contains a policy setting that the Child does not. The Child GPO inherits the setting from the Parent.
    - If Child GPO contains a policy setting that the Parent does not. The Child GPO uses its own setting.
    - If the Parent GPO and Child GPO both have the same setting configured differently. The Child GPO uses its own setting.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. jef

jef Bit Poster

thanks alot guys. :biggrin

Certifications: nowt.
    WIP: bits and bobs