gpedit.msc vs rsop.msc

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

What is the difference? The only thing noticeable to me is you can add another snap in from rsop.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Gpedit is for editing the policy; RSOP, as its name implies, gives you the Resultant Set Of Policy/ies. It's more of a troubleshooting tool, to find out just what policies are being applied to the particular user/computer, and from which GPOs.

Like if I am forced to use complex passwords, though I changed it in the default domain policy, I can run a RSOP on my computer and see which GPO is still enforcing the restriction. It will show me all the policies currently applied to my account/computer, from all the affecting GPOs.

You can also use it for planning changes, like to see how a user or computer would be affected if you changed its location/group membership/blah.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Omni,

Thanks for your reply. I will take a closer look at both of them as you have pointed out they are two seperate tools.

Si

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

RSOP is useful when one of your workmates decides to setup a group policy and not document it! If you run RSOP it tells you which parts of the GP are in use, in gpedit you would have to look through the whole policy and find the settings that have been changed, not fun! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And there is also GPRESULT at the command line, which is a very useful guide as to what policies are being applied.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for all the input :thumbleft.
    I intend to take a closer look at all of them tommorow.

Si