GP question

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by mcbro, Apr 4, 2010.

1. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I'm trying to recreate the AD set-up at my work in my virtual lab.

At work we have an Orphaned Computers OU into which any new PCs added to the domain join.
    I've created the OU and set it as the default for new computer accounts using redircmp.exe.

But now I want to deny the ability to logon interactively to any PC in that OU. Any ideas on the correct GP setting?

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Do you mean something along the lines of:

(in a GPO)

Computer Configuration -> Polices -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Polices -> User Assign Rights

"Allow log on locally"
    "Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services"
    "Deny log on locally"
    "Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services"

-Ken

p.s. I'm using a Window 2008 r2 domain/forest, can't remember if all those options are there in other versions.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

So i was looking in the right place.
    I got thrown by the word "locally" which i took to mean a local user account.
    How would you apply the GPO? User and group wise.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  4. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Apply the GPO to the Orphaned Computers OU only. You want to change the setting in the Computer Configuration and not the User Configuration for the GPO. Anyone attempting to log on to any computer in that OU will not be able to do so interactively.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010