Gotta Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Muir, May 19, 2006.

1. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven’t been posting much lately (I have still been checking in though) but I’ve been crazy busy. The good news is that I’ve finally landed an IT job, so I’m pretty pleased. :alc Like many others here I’ve been applying like crazy trying to get a break and I was getting nowhere, same old catch 22 story but I kept applying, whilst also trying to get as much temp work as possible (office based, just for the cash). I was starting to think my best way in would be though the temp route, i.e. get a basic office job in a big company let them see I’m a good worker with a lot of IT knowledge and see where it leads.

I managed to get a temp job at RBS, just basic data entry stuff and I worked hard then they asked me if I wanted to go permanent saying that I could just work a year in my department and then move on. So effectively it was giving me a way into a massive company and once there I could benefit from the internal jobs, which are offered and progress into IT because of my qualifications. This was extremely tempting but I said I couldn’t make that decision just yet as I was on the final stages of an IT graduate scheme, which would obviously come first.

I applied for the graduate scheme in February and I had gone through 4 stages to get to where I was, which was an assessment centre visit. The centre went really well and I got accepted into the final stage so I was really pleased that I could demonstrate the best of my skills despite feeling a little dishearten by all the set backs. I was really pleased with how the final part went and even more so when I was told I had been successful which made the 3 months and 6 stages a thoroughly worthwhile experience.

I guess the moral of the story is keep trying but at the same time keep your eyes open for different opportunities, I was getting nowhere and then all of a sudden I had 2 great opportunities at the same time. If you’re a good worker than a company will recognise that and will want to keep you and if you demonstrate an interest in a particular area then they will probably back you so that you continue to work for them. The whole time I was looking for work and getting set backs I always stuck to my career plan and to me it didn’t matter where I started as long as I finished where I wanted.

Good luck job hunters :beers2

Muir

:git

Certifications: Degree, HND, MCP (305, 306, 229)
    WIP: MCDBA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Congrats mate! you given me alot of hope too for when i finish my degree! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well done mate. It just proves that the effort you put in is the reward in the end.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Muir. Well done. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Good to hear Muir, all the best mate! :thumbleft

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Congratulations mate!

Nice one!

:alc

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Always nice to hear a story about someone trying hard, persevering then eventually acheiving one of their goals. Well done matey, I hope it goes well for you. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

Thanks a lot everyone.

Cheers :berrr

Certifications: Degree, HND, MCP (305, 306, 229)
    WIP: MCDBA
  10. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Great news and well deserved.Congratulations Muir.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+