GoToAssist Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by craigie, Oct 8, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I was meant to post about this software ages ago, but completely forgot.

As part of my secondment we deal with 19 clients, whom have sub clients (with which we have no infrastrucutre information on!) and to be honest, we do not speak to certain clients for months maybe even years unless something goes wrong.

This can cause an issue as we do not know firewall information etc, so we use GoToAssist Express. This is probably the best Assistance Client I have used!

Anyway below are some of its features and the weblink to sign up is https://express.gotoassist.com/register.tmpl?SessionInfo=480390:FCC336F893BFEE1

Easy for You, Easy for Your Customers
    • One-Click Session Start: Save time by starting your support sessions in just one click.
    • FastSupport Entry Site: Seamlessly transition from a phone call to an online support session by directing your customer to our FastSupport.com site and providing a 9-digit Support Key.

Speed Resolution with Powerful Support Tools
    • Remote Control: With your customer's permission, you can remotely take control of their desktop to provide service just as if you were sitting at their computer.
    • File Transfer*: Instantly exchange files and folders with your customers.
    • Remote Diagnostics: Get your customer's system information in a single mouse click.
    • Support without Interruption*: Log in as administrator or reboot and reconnect to the support session in progress.

Increase Your Support Capacity
    • Multiple Sessions and True Color: Simultaneously support up to eight customers at a time. Plus, see screens in full 24-bit color.
    • Mac User Support: Provide live remote support to both PC and Mac customers. (You must run the support session from a PC.)

Support Unattended Computers
    • Unattended Remote Support*: Work while your clients are away from their computers by pre-installing Unattended Support. Set it up on as many computers as you like!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yes, GoToMyPC is good - I used to be a Pro users a few years ago.

These days, for free access tho' I've switched to LogMeIn.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I have been on the receiving end of GoToAssist. It must use only port 80, our network is very tightly locked down yet a software house we bought a bespoke solution from were able to GoToAssist in to my workstation to help out with a configuration issue.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What firewall do you use? Even if the traffic is over port 80 the firewall should drop that kinda thing.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Its MS ISA (2006 I think, the networks team take care of it). I do know we never made any changes to the configuration to allow GoToAssist to work, we got approval for the third party to access out network and it worked right from the get go.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have used it on lots of different systems, and never once found an issue.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not if the traffic originates from inside the network - the return traffic is allowed. Port 80 traffic that originates from outside the network is dropped.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Sparky

Depends on the firewall doesnt it? Websites that have media content (just an example) are locked down on some of the sites I support. Traffic is over port 80.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Forgot to mention GoToAssist is made by Citrix.

10. Sparky

Cheers mate, I`ll have a look at it. I used to use gotomypc but then logmein is free.

Free is good, sometimes!

11. BosonMichael

Most allow sessions that originate internally. After all, that's how you retrieve Web pages from the Internet... you don't reach out and grab the Web pages... you request them, and they send them back to you. Same with using GoTo on port 80... YOUR computer makes the initial request, and their session is allowed back in.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Sparky

Yes, 100% agree however a decent firewall (imo) should have anti-spyware services etc. checking traffic on port 80 for any nasty stuff trying to get into the corporate network.

This can mean that many products that try run over port 80, and are more than just a simple web request, will get blocked or at least logged. In some cases the product will even prompt for a proxy as when it tries to establish a connection the default gateway (generally the firewall) will refuse to the let the traffic pass through.

13. BosonMichael

But... it's not spyware. :blink That traffic wouldn't be flagged as such.

I know what you're saying... but if it's not suspect traffic, a firewall's not gonna nuke it.

14. Sparky

I know its not spyware but its not exactly a regular web request is it? If someone could run that application on their PC in a high security IT environment I would be surprised.

15. BosonMichael

Unless something's specifically configured to block GoTo requests (or unless port 80 is blocked, which doesn't usually happen), then it'll be allowed.

16. Sparky

You wouldn’t let any traffic generated *from* a user on port 80 march into your network without checking it first would you? :biggrin

17. BosonMichael

The point isn't what I would do; the point is that most companies allow comms on port 80. Give it a shot; you might be surprised at what you find.