Got my MCSE - Future Plans?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by andy768, Oct 23, 2007.

1. andy768

andy768 Bit Poster

Hi all,
    Yesterday I passed my MCSE. Its taken a lot of hard work and studying but I believe its been worth it - both for the qualification and the knowledge I've picked up in my day to day work.
    Luckily I'm a with a company who are happy to pay for any training/qualifications I wish to do so I'm wondering on what to do next? I took the first two modules of the CCNA within Uni so I'd like to pick up on that but I was thinking I might take the A+ and Network+ exams first to "pad out" my CV in terms of qualifications as they seem to be highly respected?
    Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.
    As a thank you for reading, I also have a 15% off voucher for exam 70-294 I never got round to using as I got a free exam from Prometric as it kept crashing one time! Just PM me if you want it.
    Thanks

Certifications: BSc, MCP, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: A+, Network+, CCNA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on attaining the MCSE, as for what's next, it depends where you want to go.

The entry level certs like the A+, Network+, Security+ are great foundations even if you have the MCSE, especially if you are going to move out of a MS environment or going to go into a speciality (eg MCSA: Security, MCSE: Security), or if you want to increase your basics :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Getting the A+ and Network+ certainly couldn't hurt. If they're just a review for you, they'll look good on the CV... and if there's info on there that's new to you, then you needed to learn it anyway! :)

Considering you're already working in IT, the CCNA would be worthwhile after picking up the A+ and Network+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations on attaining the accolade:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Which study materials did you find most helpful and useful for the exam. Please, am not in support of using illegal prep guides either. Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  6. andy768

andy768 Bit Poster

I would say I found the official course material the most valuable. For each exam, I bought the official courseware book, which of course has the added bonus of coming with a 180 days trial version of Server/Exchange. You can then create multiple virtual environments without having to purchase the licensed versions. I would say, and I'm sure others would agree, that without hands on experience of some kind, you are always going to really struggle no matter how well you understand the theory behind the text. The courseware also came with 15% dicounts for each of the exam, so it more or less pays for itself anyway, plus I now have a handy reference guide.

I also found Transcender exam prep software useful, it helps you gauge the type of question to expect on the exam especially if you are taking MCP exams for the first time.

Finally, its just a case of putting the time/hard work in, and you can't beat making notes on a piece of paper/post it notes to help summarise an issue as well as viewing a particular subject from a different source to attempt to get a different take on an issue.

Finally finally, just dont give up. I had days where the material seemed really hard but I stuck with it and got there in the end!

Hope this helps

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the MCSE mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Andy. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback Andy, really useful and insightful:D

11. Firemouse

Firemouse Bit Poster

I have the official microsoft courseware books to... how do you get the 15% off?

Certifications: CCNA, MCP
    WIP: CCNP
  12. andy768

andy768 Bit Poster

13. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

If you are using that MS Press Training Kits, you may be able to use the code on any exam. For example I just used the code from my 70-620 book for my 70-292 exam. The code is only good once.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  14. andy768

andy768 Bit Poster

Yeah I had hoped for that, the code I had remaining (70-294) wasnt able to be used on 70-297.:(

15. Ritu Sharma

Ritu Sharma New Member

Congratulations!

Ritu Sharma