1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my first job in IT!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rocdamike, May 2, 2013.

1. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

I am pleased to say that I got offered my first IT role working as a Data Centre Technician :D

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCENT, F5 101 Application Delivery Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation (2011), CompTIA (A+, Network+), MTA (Windows OS, Networking, HTML5)
    WIP: CCNA Security
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

That's cool. You will learn loads there!

3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations! I know what the feeling of finally getting your first break feels like. Was you looking for long?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  4. mackie

mackie Nibble Poster

Very well done!

Certifications: IAB, Sage 50, MOUS and MCP
    WIP: A+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

Great! Congrats mate!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. rocdamike

I'm sure you'll be right and I can't wait :D

Thanks. It still hasn't quite sunk in yet. I started actively looking in March this year while at the same time beginning to self-study MTAs (OS, Networking, HTML5); so relatively not long at all.

My advice to anyone looking for their first role in IT is to be hopeful and persevere. I don't hold a university degree, nor have I done an apprenticeship. I left school with just 3 AS levels and then worked in retail as a sales assistant for 8 years (I'm 25 now).

I have to give a lot of thanks to CertForums for all the advice, content and support. It gave me the necessary inspiration I needed to strive for better and realise what career I wanted. I wouldn't have known about the MTA certification without CF, and without the MTA in Networking Fundamentals, I wouldn't have been able to answer a lot of the questions in the interview, so thanks!

Thank you to everyone for your support :D

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCENT, F5 101 Application Delivery Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation (2011), CompTIA (A+, Network+), MTA (Windows OS, Networking, HTML5)
    jvanassen likes this.
  7. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster Premium Member

Congrats mate all the very best in your new job.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. SimonV

SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

Congratulations and well done, keep up posted on how things go. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Congrats! How did you go about studying for the MTA?

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  10. rocdamike

Thanks. I will definitely keep you posted.

I used the MOAC (Microsoft Official Academic Course) books and essentially just made notes, making sure I understood everything as I went along, and then went on to the questions at the end of each chapter. My only gripe about the books is that they don't document the answers; I'm thinking of contacting Wiley, the publisher about this. Despite this, one thing that I found extremely helpful about the books is that they all contain a free voucher code which allows you to do practice questions for the exam online with 'Gmetrix.net'.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  11. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thanks I will check them out when I return to blighty! Think I might do the OS and Networking too.

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  12. jvanassen

I can relate to you rocdamike, i am also 25 and was working in retail jobs for 7/8 years and then decided to study some IT certifications and got my first break into IT last June. Congrats & Good Luck!

13. rocdamike

Wow, that's awesome. I'm sure I'll be requiring some of your advice in the near future then :D

14. jvanassen

Lets do a comparison my fellow retail worker lol, mine were Homebase, Wickes and then Dulux Decorator Centres......

rocdamike likes this.
  15. rocdamike

Mine were Sports Soccer and then Jessops!