Got my first IT job :)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ade_b, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

I just wanted to share my good news following on from my previous post Telephone interview help I had confirmation today that I got the job as first line advisor!

I have no previous it experience only using pcs in general and some self taught stuff about general problem solving eg how to connect to a network printer.

I have been wanting to get a career for some time now so a few months ago I decided that enough was enough and I started to self study for the Comptia a+ exam which I am really enjoying, this company were pleasantly surprised that I have such an active interest in learning.

I have applied for other roles before but none of them gave me the time of day as I didn't meet certain criteria, im only talking about entry level positions too, I'm glad this company have seen past this and are willing to take a chance of me, prior to this I have been in the motor trade for approx 11 years now working in parts and service roles even management but I always had a passion for I.T, hopefully I can apply this passion and gain the vital knowledge on the job to progress my career within I.TI, I cannot wait to see what the future brings :)

Arroryn, Rob1234 and Justin Woods like this.
  2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on your new job!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Congrats, just goes to show what perseverance and enthusiasm can do!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Big up to you tenacity will always pay off!

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  5. SiberianKhatru

SiberianKhatru Bit Poster

Congrats!! But just so I'm understanding this... did you say you acquired this while the A+ is still a WIP?

Every job I look at, even for 1st line, wants "degree or HND level knowledge" and other crazy requirements.

6. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

Comptia a+ wip, I am just as shocked, I do however have a reasonable knowledge of computers anyway just nothing formal.

7. SiberianKhatru

You've really inspired me to start the ball rolling then, mate. Thanks!

What would you define as a reasonable knowledge?

For instance, I could build a PC right now and install an OS, as well as solve a fair amount of issues, but not overly seasoned on deep Windows configuring and troubleshooting, like the latter part of the A+ book that I'm working towards (Active directory, command prompt, etc.)

8. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

I would say that my ability is very similar to yours by the sounds of it you should definitely stick at it this opportunity came out of nowhere when I was getting fed up of not even being considered so it has proved to me that there are definitely employers out there that do look beyond the formal qualifications for their entry level jobs, this employer were very keen on my previous customer service experience along side some basic knowledge so I guess that could have been what gave me the edge in this case. They also mentioned that I came across very well in interview which also helped my application, hope this helps :)

9. SiberianKhatru

Thanks again, mate. I'll definitely start looking for positions now then.

10. ade_b

ade_b Bit Poster

Hi all, thought I'd give a quick update and advise that I have been promoted to second line advisor the main reason for posting is that I want to share this news to encourage others just like myself who want to change their career but never thought It would happen, I too never thought it would happen, until 3 months ago when I got a first line support position, since then I have got my head down and shown willingness to learn and have been thriving on the opportunities to learn new skills.

I am now able to do some sql which is something I've always wanted to do and this knowledge will only get better now that I am in a position to use it most days. Do not give up on your dreams and aspirations, because in the right place you will be recognised and the hard work will pay off, if not with ur current employer then certainly another one with the knowledge gained, but you must put in the effort.

For once I am working for a company that appreciates hard work I had been stuck in the motor trade for 12.5 years I do not regret it as this has made me realise what I do not want to be doing for a living, so it has done me a favour.

Good luck everyone and do not give up, I certainly won't be! It's onwards and upwards now! :)