Got defeated by the beast

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by onoski, Nov 20, 2009.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I sat the 70-291 this morning but managed to get beaten by the beast as I failed scored 590. I had 53 questions and 6 simulations all riddled with RRAS, DNS, IPSEC and what I believe IIS configs etc.

Please, note intending not to give anything away NDA wise hence just listed the above.

I am not complaining but think Microsoft might has changed the question pools or maybe I was just unfortunate. The MeasureUP and Prelogic were useless to say the least even used Selftest software too but none of these helped. I studied hard and did hands on for slightly just over three months now.

Well enough complaining would be hitting the books and this time technet or petri for reasonable explanations etc. I still think the simulations thrown me of guide:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Tough luck m8 but you live to fight another day :biggrin

I'm sure you'll nail it next time !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate, have a few beers and then regroup another day. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Unlucky mate. I am gonna be failing too in a month or two when i take mine. You will pass next time and that will give me some confidence too.:D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know whether the stuff I wrote back in '03 for Transcender's 70-291 still exists or if Self Test replaced it with the content they created. Even if Microsoft's question pool has changed, their objectives haven't.

Best of luck on your next attempt.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks all, can anyone confirm if the questions should be 53 as well as having 6 simulations. I just think it's odd to say the least. I have now rebooked this beast and would be having a re-match soon:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  7. BosonMichael

Why would that be odd? Microsoft has always had weird numbers of test questions. Here's what I got:

70-290 (pre-sims): 44
    70-298: 34
    70-284: 48
    70-285: 42
    70-271: 49
    70-620: 56

Can't remember for sure what I had on 70-291 (and my spreadsheet just shows a question mark), but I think it was 47 items, which if you added 6 sims to it, you'd get 53.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Mike, yeah that makes sense.

9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah no gutted for you mate. I think I had 3 sims or something like that and 47 questions sounds familiar. I think they must just make it as random as possible to prevent people cheating, I dunno. Failed this one myself so know how you feel, but you'll kill it 2nd time because you have an idea of what to expect. Chin up mate. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Jim, a bit gutted but would not let it get to me, hitting the books now:)

11. BosonMichael

Nah, man. There's no shame in having a rough time with 70-291... it's not easy on purpose. :)

12. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Unlucky bud, better luck on next attempt.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  13. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Sorry to read about your not passing, but you'll crack it next time around. About one week before my 70-291 exam I was certain I wasn't ready for it, but in that last week of study things started to click. I didn't do well in the practice exams, only getting between 50-60% in all of them, and when I finished the exam I wasn't confident at all that I would pass, but I did.

For the record, I got 48 questions, only 1 sim, a handful of questions with pick-more-than-one-correct answer, and the rest were single answer questions. I reckon questions on DNS and Network Security made up 1/3 of my exam.

If you're having trouble with DNS, and if you have access to a Win Server 2003 computer, bring up the DNS console and select the Help file. That Help file was what really helped me to understand stuff like stub zones, conditional forwarding, delegations, and subdomains. In fact, you can do the same for the Help files for RRAS console, DHCP console and all the other consoles studied in 70-291. Good study material IMHO.

14. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry to hear about your defeat to the beast. I am sure you will nail it next time. I have two exams (270 & 290) before I have to face it and to be honest given its reputation, if I only fail it one time I will count myself lucky.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Trogdor, I think like with most things in life it's not easy but with hard work and persistence things can be achieved. Best wishes your studies:)

16. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

MCTS Windows Server® Virtualization Configuration Study Guide /Sybex

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  17. BosonMichael

Okaaaay... so what are you getting at? :blink

18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I guess he was putting up some info which would make sense to people why the number and type of questions varied quite a lot, since there was some discussion of this several of the posts.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

I had 53 last week, not sure how many sims as I didn't keep track of them, only that they all came at the end and were fairly easy IP configuration questions.
    Revise hard for IPSec, WSUS and DNS zones. Make sure you know the command line utilities as this wasn't covered much in the course I did.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  20. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Finally got this one in the bag today and must say though just 40 questions and 9 sims inclusive was a drain on me. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and kind words.

Just to rant who in their right mind uses RRAS for remote working mobile users these days or even in those days MS are referring to?