Got certification but no jobs!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by abhi2002_sen, Jul 4, 2008.

1. abhi2002_sen

abhi2002_sen New Member

Hi all,
    I've got MCP and CCNA certs and also have a degree, but i'm finding it really hard to get a job. I'm sure my CV is alright as i get calls from employers, but nothing turns fruitful. I've also got 2 years experience but back in India. I got a job recently as a 1st line support for an ISP called plusnet. the role is more or less to deal with home based customers queries( like connectivity and stuff). i just wanted to ask all if anyone can tel whether this position can be helpful to get further opportuinities in networking or is it useless?
    any suggestions with be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    abhi

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome :)

Most people start of in entry level positions like what you are doing after you get experience then you can progress.

Also be aware that having the CCNA could be hindering you as the CCNA is supposed to be for people who have experience on Cisco kit and when employers you are applying to see that you have it and no experience they are going to think you may have cheated to get it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Please be aware that holding a degree and various certs do not guarantee you a certain (or any) job. But as you're already working for an ISP in a helpdesk role, any experience gained will be useful.

Don't be dismayed, the IT market here in the UK is very competitive so multiple people will be going for the same job, so you are not the only one not getting the first few jobs s/he applies for. However look at it as a learning experience. You could always ask the questions when you're turned down for feedback, see where you need to improve.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. abhi2002_sen

abhi2002_sen New Member

thanks guys...
    But is this experience, working for an ISP for home based customers will me in anyway? do employers actually consider that..as the content of the job is preety much nothing close to actual networking?

5. Kitkatninja

It is experience, not network experience granted, but it is IT experience and everyone has to start somewhere. Remember you are developing soft skills that are needed in the IT profession, such as: communication, fact-finding, problem solving, etc.

One thing that I do want to point out is that you have stated that you've recently only got this job.

One thing that alot of prospective employers do not really like are job "hopers", I would recommend staying there for a while before you start looking for another job.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. abhi2002_sen

abhi2002_sen New Member

Thanks Ken..I've still not started the job. still considering..
    Currently i'm working as a quality engineer in a manufacturing plant..thats a reason i was double minded whther to do a six sigma and stick to quality or move back to IT, Now that i got this offer you see..

7. Kitkatninja

Only you can make the decision :) However I will say that parts of Six Sigma, even though it was developed for the manufacturing industry, have appeared in other area's like: Healthcare, food & IT. Quality is for everyone, but saying that Six Sigma isn't as widely adopted as ITIL is in IT.

-ken

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You have my commiserations.

I worked for plusnet for less than a month a couple of years ago, and that was my experience, going from running a network I was given the impression id be doing some reasonable serious networking support, but it was quickly realised the job wasnt for me, and we parted ways.

I would say it is good experience for that first step on the ladder, not only are you doing basic support for network kit (it is basic) there are basic elements of windows based software such as outlook, so its not a complete waste of time.

Id imagine if you did want to stay and try to progress it would be difficult, as i sometimes see the same networks staff working there now as i did then so i think there is limited progression, also the wages sucked lol

I personally would be looking for other roles while at least working in an IT relevant role,
    Just out of curiosity do you have any commercial cisco experience? How did you obtain your CCNA, i scraped the bare minimum, and am self training for CCNA, so far I am finding it easy, but the theory side is interesting, the practical side, most commands are sticking, so i guess im just waiting now (8 days till ccent)

Also while working for plusnet there was a guy there, who braindumped his way to microsoft certification (I didnt realise what this was at the time, my first exposure to the sleaze), so overall im glad i left there.

best of luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. abhi2002_sen

abhi2002_sen New Member

Thanks for all that information..
    well i've work as a system administrator for 2 years..on windows 2003 platform and exchange 2003..
    ccna was all on my own..had few simulation softwares, which turned out preety useful.. i would advice you to download ubuntu and run dynamips on it...try n get cisco ios codes...that wud be like training on a live router..believe me.
    right now i have a good job...working as quality engineer...so don't want to leave a good job for somethning not worth doing...thanks for the advice..

10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Using IOS outside cisco is against the terms and conditions unfortunately, but i do have a few routers and switches at home, so im getting more hands on.

Good luck with the decision, I wouldnt think the name plusnet on your cv for that role would scream greatness at employers but again thats how you market at interviews.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. abhi2002_sen

abhi2002_sen New Member

well yeah..using ios outside cisco is not legal...and having a rack for urself is probably the best idea..
    i won't go for plusnet anyways..happy with my current job, unless i get something really good.

12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

having these certs mean nothing if you dont have the experience to back them up. i'd take the job for the experience and work you way up

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

If you market yourself correctly, working for an ISP can give you an advantage and look good on a CV.

14. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What he said 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs