Got an interview but dont think i want it..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jamin100, Dec 2, 2009.

1. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

ok, let me explain.

I'm a Network Admin for a school I was having a bad week a few weeks back and applied to about 3 different jobs online with my CV. I was just having one of those fed up days . . .

Didnt think anything else of them and thus continued normally in my role. Well yesterday i heard back from 2 of the agencies offering me interviews for 2 of the jobs i applied for.

The first is for a IT support enginner earning between 20k-25k this is a little less than what i'm on now but a little nearer to home. This interview is scheduled for Tuesday. Now this is where the problem lies, I dont think that given the slightest chance I was offered this job that I would take it. Its no more than what i earn now and way less holiday (i currently get about 9 weeks)

soooo, do i go just for the interview experiance knowing that if offered the job i probably wouldnt take it, or cancel the interview and let them re-arrange it for someone else?

WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would just politely decline the interview.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

the 2nd one i'm going for as it looks like a great opportunity

4. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Whats the other interview for ?
    position? salary? Big/small company?

What BM said just decline it if you don't want the interview,
    unless you want to go along to the interview to train yourself in the art of "interviews" and see how much you can impress them! :p

Acutally don't do that, I'm just being stupid :)

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I'd go to bump up your interview skills. If you are accepted (which you may not be) then you could possibly negotiate the terms (more hol/more money).
    Either way, give it a chance so that you can learn to sell yourself to them... nothing better than being able to successfully sell yourself :p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I dont know. If the job itself interests you, I'd be tempted to go along. Worst case scenario, they offer you the job at the advertised rate and you decline (you can say you have "reconsidered your position", and thank them for the offer).

But you may go along and find that the team, location, and job role are of major interest to you. You may also find that they offer you more money than advertised (particularly if you tell them during the interview you are looking for more than advertised).

Why close your mind to the possibility of the job without even finding out more about it? You started the process, so see it through. You never know, this may be fate knocking on your door to deliver the job of a lifetime.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just to be clear about this, it the agency interviewing you or the employer?

If the agency has asked you in for a preliminary interview it could well lead to nothing, they're just trying to pad their books and make it look like they're doing something to fill the role.

So if you don't want to go, you're missing out on nothing if you politely decline.
    On the other hand, agencies don't like people who mess them around and think independently.
    If you are likely to have any more 'bad days' in the future you don't want to burn any bridges.

If it is the employer who is interviewing you, well then you have to decide.
    Personally, I've learned something valuable from every interview I've been to so I'm more than happy to be interviewed for some jobs I don't want so that I'm on good form when that one that I do want comes along.
    And in these difficult times, it doesn't hurt to keep your hand in. 8)

Even if you get offered a job you don't want, you can still say 'no thanks'. It happens all the time and employers can take it on the chin.

But if you're happy to stay in your current job, then sneaking off for interviews may not be the message you want to send out.

Unless it is...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Why's that stupid?

Generally, especially in today's climate, when a job gets advertised a load of people will apply and those people will have applied for loads of other things too. Employers know and accept that.

As an employer, it does suck a bit when you go through the interview process and your top candidate turns you down. But that's why you make the offer to the successful candidate before you say 'no thanks' to numbers 2 and 3. 8)

What really sucks and blows is when you take on the candidate, close down the vacancy, chuck an expensive induction at them and then a month down the line they tell you they've had a better offer.

Hey ho...

9. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Just to pick up on a few points.

1. the job is an IT support role advertised at 20k-25
    2. I currently earn 24k with about 9 weeks holiday
    3. The company in question IS the employment agency. IE i would be working for them administering their systems.
    4. I'm not really happy with my current role. There's no room to progress any further, no chance that my salary will rice above the cost of living and no money for training. Its ok at the moment as it pays the bills.
    5. I do like my boss (kind of) but dont want to P*** her off by going for interviews..

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well that sounds like a bit of a no-brainer then.
    What have you got to lose?

You obviously don't tell work you're going to an interview - take holiday, change your shift, whatever.
    Your boss may guess, but who's to say she's not doing it too.

Changing jobs and going to interviews etc can be distressing and many people avoid it, preferring to accept things as they are. But nothing stays the same, so you're better off being in control of the change.

Many years ago I was in a job that (at the time) I thought was perfect.
    I was surrounded by friends, knew what I was doing and was well rated by my boss.
    As a result, I sat on my @rse thinking 'why would I want to change this?'

Then, one day everything around me was changed overnight.
    My friends were moved on and I got a new boss.
    I was the only one left behind as I was considered to be the best to keep things together during the change.
    It was a real shocker and it made me realise that saying that staying happily where you are is the easy option just isn't true.

Carpe Diem.

11. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

If you have two interviews lined up, one you want and want you don't really want I would definately try to attend both. The first one consider it as practise for the one you actually want, especially if you haven't interviewed often or for a while.

You will be surprised just how rusty you can get and you will only realise it during the interview.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!