Got a job in IT and need advice for a project please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by han.net, Dec 13, 2009.

1. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hi there

I got a my first job in IT in a company hosts servers for other companies in our facilities .
    I have the CCNA and A+ and got some work experience as an IT Technician.
    I started the Job 6 days a go and noe I am required to do a project on Windows Server 2008 and to migrate from 2003 to 2008 .
    I have no knowledge at all about Microsoft servers and thats why I am bit panic.

Would any body advise me on what to do and how to do it ?
    Do I need a very good knowledge about 2003 to do this ?
    Should I consider 2008 server course ?

I would really apprecite your help and advice .

Hani

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Speak to your boss about it. Is there a reason why he\she thinks you should be able to run Server 2003 to server 2008 migration?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Check on technet Microsofts web site for white papers and how to. You'd also find petri online helpful. Best wishes and lets know how you get on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I agree with Sparky.

Strange how your boss should think your capable of doing it when you are not by your own admission. It could just be he wants you to find out for your own learnings sake, if so, google your ass off.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Agreed.

A quick question, what do you mean by "some work experience as an IT Technician"?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

I worked as IT Technician , building , installing and troublshooting PC for about a year .

I find it odd for asking me to do that kind of thing .

Do I need to do the MSCA course and MCITP ??? to migrate from 2003 to 2008 .

Is that approchable target for a person who does not have any knowledge about servers ?
    How long that would take to accomplsh .

What do you mean by Petri online ? and white papers ?

Hani

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

When you say migrate from 2003 to 2008, you mean your entire network? also how big and complex is it? like what technology are you using? Exchange,AD, DNS, DHCP, etc... How big is the network?

I am assuming your employer knows how much and what in you have the experience? I find that kind of unreasonable to ask someone to do a complex job with no experience. It's not your fault it's just not the way to approach things. The MCSA and MCITP are not going to really help you if you don't have the experience. They will give you knowledge to some extent but won't necessarily help you with migration unless you start figuring things out on your own or through google and pulling it off. It also takes time to study and understand.

What I would do in your place is sit down with your boss and explain to them what your situation is. Cleary if they hired you for a entery level position, they can't expect you to peform a network migration like that. I would consider highering a consultant (of course, you'd have to discuss that with your boss) and go from there. Trust me it's better that way then to have mess something up and then everyone will be down and it does not look good on you.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You don't need certifications to do anything.
    So you can stop worrying along those lines.

There's nothing wrong with being apprehensive about being asked to do something outside of your experience, but that's how we learn things.

It sounds as if nobody there knows how to do what they're planning.
    So just get stuck in and see what you can do!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

First of all. Forget MCSA, MCITP and others. You got something else to worry about right now, and that is the migration. Having any of those certs will not help you with the migration.

Is the company you work for a small business with MD who has absolutely no idea about IT and just heard things here and there and want you to implement them. I work for small business and when I first started I had so many things thrown at me that it was unbelivable. Half of them were ditched because for example by implement VOIP meant set up a skype connection between him and one of the branches. So clarify is the migration something he/you really need. Windows Server 2003 is completely fine and unless you want Hyper-V or 2008 domain functional level, upgrade is not needed.
    I have 3 2008 servers on my network and still my domain run on Windows Server 2003. My DNS is 2003, same for DHCP, files, printers, everything. The only things I have deployed on 2008 was Hyper-V hosts and Application servers running TS and providing access to Sage, Window Designer and few other manufacturing applications which I wanted to keep in one place and have users connecting remotely. Those 2008 servers could as well be 2003 versions but when buying new servers I had to choose. So if 2008 version wasn't causing problems I thought, why not?

Anyways, more details needed on your situation and I'm sure we will be able to work something out.
    Also if you can't describe your network setup right from the top of your head you're not ready for the migration.

If by any chance your boss wants Hyper-V in house, why not set up Hyper-V host and P2V migrate 2003 server onto it? That's easier and more reliable. Also migration from V2V (2003 - 2008 ) will be a bit easier as you would be effectively working on on physical machine so no walking around :D

Regards

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  10. Sparky

Eh? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Care to explain Sparky?

Should've said "might not be needed" really. But hopefully I'll learn something new just now :D

Edit: Nevermind Sparky, I've done some research :D. In regards to previous post still applies because working 2003 is definately better than not working 2008

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  12. Sparky

So the only reason to upgrade to Server 2008 is Hyper-V and the domain functional level?

Surely it has more to offer than that, no? 8)

13. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Scalability, reduced power consuption, major tcp/ip stack improvements to name a few :oops:

14. Sparky

Ahh, good news then! :biggrin

15. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The most important feature of Server 2008, a lovely new GUI.

Oops, back to Exchange 2007 for me

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5