Googling costs carbon!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by GiddyG, Jan 12, 2009.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

That's a pity.:(

At least CF gives you the opportunity to respond, and clear up the facts or at least give an opinion. :D

I wonder if the media would give that opportunity...

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

News Flash:
    Full article at Daniweb.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Really? I wish mine did.....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Haha, yeah.. as i said earlier. all a load of codswallop. :bla

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

It's over exaggerated but it was IMHO a valid point that what we do in general impacts on the environment. I think there is a real need to look at all sources of clean energy. I don't want my son growing up on a planet. A bit off topic but I saw Top Gear over xmas and they were showing an electric car that was pretty naff as it took ages to charge and electricity uses fossil fuels so is a bit misleading that it's clean. Then they showed a car that fuels and charges itself and the only waste it gives off is water. These are the types of things we need to do to help the planet. I think IT in the grand scheme of things is pretty insignificant in terms of polluting the planet.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

journalists again ... i think they probably get their information from the BBC website .. :D

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Why all the focus on Google and just Google. What about Amazon, eBay, and any other really, really well used website that runs in a huge data center? Aren't they *all* contributing to the "carbon footprint"?

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly! So shut them ALL down! And why stop there? Why don't we just turn off everything that consumes electricity, fuel, or any other source of power? :rolleyes:

Total absurdity, what the world has come to these days...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You sending the wee man into space? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Unfortunately, we don't know how to make any other viable habitats as Biosphere 2 has so painfully demonstrated. This biosphere (Earth) is the only place we've got.

12. michael78

Oops Got distracted at work when typing :oops::oops::oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  13. michael78

I've got no excuse, can't even say I was drunk as I was at work. I'll give my son the bad news that I'm firing him into space later today :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Made me laugh for ages when I read it back.