Google to launch operating system

Discussion in 'News' started by nugget, Jul 8, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Google to launch operating system

Google is developing an operating system (OS) for personal computers, in a direct challenge to market leader Microsoft and its Windows system.
    Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at netbooks, the low-cost portable computers that have turned the PC world upside down.
    Google said netbooks with Chrome OS could be on sale by the middle of 2010.
    "Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," said the company in a blog.

More here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. JK2447
      JK2447
      Sweet, I'd give it a whirl. I use Chrome as my browser and love it :)
    2. Qs
      Qs
      Bad Jim! Chrome ≠ A Good Browser

I don't think the OS will take off for Desktops. Netbooks, yeah, because Google can find a niche in the market. Windows is too large and slow, Linux is too complex and unknown for the average Joe.

Qs
    3. skulkerboyo
      skulkerboyo
      http://www.thinkgos.com/index.html

You mean this? Basically this is it or the kind of shhhh its not really us but it is beta anyways

Its been available for playing around with for a bit though they claim Cloud and gOS are not affiliated with Google or their partners despite being allowed to use the google logo . . . . . hmmm

It is creative commons. I have played with it but dont rate it yet

Not surprised that the BBC would jump on this and sensationalise it. Their tech reporting has always been either crap or biased or simply subtle marketing by hacks
    4. Qs
      Qs
      Never really knew about Cloud 1.0 or the Good OS (or never really cared).

Looks very suspicious. Especially here - http://www.thinkgos.com/cloud/index.html

Qs
    5. skulkerboyo
      skulkerboyo
      Its even more sus when you see how much they tout the google widgets on other pages.

This was reported on good tech sites bloody months ago. Trust the BBC tech hacks to dredge it up and get everyone excited over bugger all.
    6. nugget
      nugget
      You might be interested in this one then.
    7. Qs
      Qs
      Interesting, but I'm in such a long-term relationship with Firefox that even if it left me for another user then I'd still not be tempted.

Qs