Problem Google IMAP issue

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by UKDarkstar, Mar 21, 2010.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi guys 'n' gals :biggrin

I was asked to check a pc belonging to a friend of an ex-customer. He'd had a virus and all sorts of other problems. Looks like his son (who's a high flyer in Shell) has got his domain email going via Google's IMAP service so it can be accessed at home and via an ASUS EEE when on the move.

Home uses BT's home hub setup with the PC hard wired and the ASUS via wi-fi.

The EEE has no probs grabbing the email but the desktop pc (which has been wiped and has a fresh Xp Pro install) seems to be having probs connecting to the IMAP service and synchronising.

Personally, I've no experience with IMAP (tho' the principle seems good enough). I've checked web access, firewall, flushed dns etc (no domain or server as it's just a home pc) but am now struggling to see why it sometimes has probs.

Friday all was working, yesterday it wasn't. I called, started up pc and it all worked fine. Last night I get another call to say it's not working again.

Can't see any status type messages from Google to see if there's an issue with the service.

Anyone got any other suggestions ?

Cheers

Kev

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Could it be a restriction on concurrent accessing from more than one PC at a time maybe? He could be logged in to the netbook at the same time.

Is it the same mail client configured the same way on both PC's? If so you could try exporting the config from the netbook and applying it to the problem computer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Hmmn, could be concurrency issue - trying to remember now but I think we did try it with the notebook turned off.

I'm not too keen to get involved as I didn't set it up and googling "Google IMAP problems" seems to bring up lots of issues :rolleyes: Outlook 2007 on desktop and OE on notebook.

Cheers for the thought tho' :biggrin

4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Have you double checked the IMAP settings on the client esp authentication and ports??

Also make sure SPA isn't enabled.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

they may have changed this, although at one time imap was not enabled by default. you can change this within Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

Also it's worth checking the ports. I seem to recall they were listed incorrectly in the guide.

I also assume we are talking about google apps here. If so, there is a support should you need it.

Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Well apparently it all sarted working again at 4pm on Sunday so still not sure what's causing it to stop.

I've suggested he contacts his son who set it up and apparently "knows all" :biggrin

I'm quite happy to bow out to his superior knowledge ! :p