Google desktop issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Jun 15, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any privacy issues related to using google desktop. I did a few searches but only came up with an entry from sometime in 2006, mostly about the search across computers feature.

I have a user who was using it on her desktop and has now recieved a new laptop and would like it installed. Personally I don't trust it, especially as it comes from google hence the question.

I have the windows desktop search installed at the moment which practically does the same thing, but I guess that we are all creatures of habit and want to use what we know.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Nobody else that has a problem with google desktop?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I don't use it. Vista has a sidebar and FF has google.com

Uninstall it, that'll fix any problems you're having :wink:

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Other than the fact that it unnecessarily consumes space on your browser window, not to mention processor and memory resources?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well it certainly has had some serious criticism in the past. Not sure of it's reputation now, in it's current form. However, personally I just regard it as an 'annoyance', which as you say.. uses resources, and indexes stuff which is easy to find manually. Same thing with tool-bars, they are just pieces of marketing poo, that have no place on any PC I touch :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks guys. I was wondering more about the security implications actually. At the moment it's a toss up between google desktop and the windows desktop search. I just don't trust google at all.

My boss is also not too trusting of google either. :biggrin

I guess that I won't be installing it for this user and a lot of uninstalling to do on the others.:twisted: