Goodbye Windows

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Feb 8, 2008.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

As the thread says... enough is enough!! Im in the testing phase of moving to ubuntu and boy am i amazed! Finished class at 1:30 and been plugging away since..... Didnt want to dual boot so i have installed it in VMWare. This is what i have achieved so far:

Got MP3 music working - XMMS with codecs
    Got DVD working and associated formats :D
    VLC Player
    Support for .rar files
    aMSN - looks just like messenger!

Now the big one.. Java and Eclipse.. i think this will work out - tomorrow im going to my mates backing up all my data and bye bye Windows!!

BTW who else is running *nix?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I'm often tempted but MS really do have me by the balls :blink

This might be useful for anyone making the move:
    http://whdb.com/2008/the-top-50-proprietary-programs-that-drive-you-crazy-and-their-open-source-alternatives/

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks for that!

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Not me
    I have absolutely no problems with windows
    so why switch?
    lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I was like that.. until windows keeps crashing with everything i do! :rolleyes:

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Damn

My Mac crashes more than my Windows box
    have not had a windows system on me crash at home for well over 2 years

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. JohnBradbury

I'm sure you could have just as much trouble with Linux. Checkout the Ubuntu forums and you'll see plenty of people having problems with Ubuntu too.

The main reason I'd switch is the freedom. From a technical standpoint I think MS provide good products.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said! :)

Plus... gaming on Linux is pitiful.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Most of us are in IT jobs because of windows like it or not that's a huge fact. No offence but think there is no need degrading an OS that truly has made IT and even the internet as popular as it is today:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

oh you boys are not convincing me! :biggrin im in uni.. i have no need to depend on a OS - if i need i might still dual boot with just 10GB for Windows.. but i want to move to ubuntu.

11. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

then maybe you shoudl choose yoru software providers more carefully.

if you NEVER installed anythign else onto windows, it would never crash, the only reason it crashes is because software programmers make errors and dont write the software 110% perfect, thus things go wrong.

the only reason other operating systems seem more stable is because you have very limited choice on what to add to it, thus everything is easier to make compatible with everything else

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You know where is Uncles Freddy and Trip when you need them. My laptop got formatted last week. I was running nothing and it still crashes. Want to know the main reason? Uni is getting boring.. i need to learn new things so linux is the way forward for me! You lot sound like im committing IT suicide?? :biggrin

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Keep in mind that your certs seems to be in the MS arena, Zimbo, so you'll likely be working with Microsoft OSes for some time to come. I use Ubuntu as my home desktop and don't have any worries (gaming means nada to me). That said, I do keep one Windows box at home because the publishing industry almost universally uses Office and Office templates sometimes break when opened in OpenOffice.org. Also, since I have been writing books on MS products, it behooves me to have at least one Windows machine.

Also, my wife and son fear Linux and will only use Windows. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. JohnBradbury

I think both Linux and Windows have their places. However
    for some reason the Linux community really hate MS and they let it cloud their judgement when comparing Linux to Windows.

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ditto

Windows XP SP2 is the most stable OS ever released (at least one that's usable for 'real' home use, so not counting BSD etc)

I just do not understand why anyone rolls out the old 'Windows is unstable' chestnut any more. You had an argument pre Win 2K, but ever since SP3 for that OS and SP2 for XP I can't think of a single time that WIndows has just crashed on me for no reason (which, lets face it, used to happen weekly or even daily with 9X or NT)

Fair enough if you want to move to Linux - I have no problem with it. If you want to go because its free then thats great - its an excellent reason. Even if you're rabid about being anti-evil empire then thats fair enough too. But if Windows is constantly crashing on you and you're using XPSP2 - then either your hardware is bad, your software installation regimen is pants or you simply don't know how to get your OS stable. In my experience, more than 90% of crashes on XPSP2 machines that I've seen were related to

Spyware,
    Cruddy software leaving detritus behind after uninstallation, or
    Graphics drivers updated incorrectly or too quickly before being fully tested simply to eke out 2 more fps in
    Far Cry.

My answers to that are:

Run a firewall and stop downloading pr0n
    Use your loaf when installing software, and
    Use a console - that's what they're built for

Sorry to rain on your parade zim, but instability is not a valid reason to stop giving Gates (sorry, Ballmer) your money :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I have to agree with the majority, Zim - simply for common sense reasoning. It's clear you relish a challenge, and that's a great credit, but the facts (as stated already) are that current Windows is, by and large, rock solid (never had BSOD in 4-5 years on XP). This thread hopefully isn't and shouldn't be a platform for an anti-MS rant.

I am also hoping to get more into Ubuntu / *nix, but that certainly isn't because of any probs with Windows - just for the challenge .... like your good self, Sir :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well i got java to work! Im pretty suprised there hasnt been one word of praise for poor linux! :( so we taking bets then on how long ill slug it out? :biggrin

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My Vista Ultimate is the most stable OS i have used to date. Sure it's irritating sometimes but what relatively new OS hasn't been.

I have toyed with Ubuntu in the past and found it to be lack lustre and annoying. I need to run my accounting software and i cant on *nix.. i like COD4 but cant play it on *nix.. I run Outlook with exchange and would have to tear my hair out to achieve the same useability on *nix. I like the fact that it is free but i would rather pay for a product that does what I need.

Apple Macs.. the Bang & Olufsen of personal computing :wink:

I will be a Windows fanboi for a while yet. 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thats the thing pete.. i only need to run eclipse (java) and openoffice. So why not? Its something different! :biggrin

20. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Are you guys kidding?
    My WIN machine crashes frequently. Yes the OS and apps are legit.
    Hmmm, maybe it's time for a fresh install :rolleyes: