Good recommended computer sitting chair

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by onoski, Dec 27, 2011.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi All, as computer and IT geeks we tend to spend a few chunk of our day sitting in front of the computer studying, PC gaming or general web browsing etc. The above applies to me too as I spend well over five hours a day in front of the computer at home and at work in excess of over six hours with break intervals in between those hours.

Hence, I would like to know which computer chair do you use at home and how comfortable and ergonomic is it to sit on in excess of over three hours plus without a break. However, it is recommended we all have breaks from the computer and computer screen as prolonged use without proper breaks can be detrimental to one's health.

In my case last year I bought a leather chair from one online shop for under £80 and can say I have not been too impressed. I do however, take breaks and don't sit in front of the computer for hours upon hours without a break but still find the chair rather uncomfortable.

Well in your case which computer chair do you use at home, and how much was it and how comfortable is it? Thanks in advance, and remember take breaks and do some desk side stretches or take a walk it would do you good.

Yes I practice this myself, well mainly when at work but at home I fall short most times in retrospect:).

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I will be watching this thread closely as most chairs I have had have ranged from average to agony. Typing in "Ergonomic office chair" brings results back that need a re-mortgage as well.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, I've used many, from expensive office fitters to Ikea.
    More often than not, the expensive stuff lets the side down.
    I'm a big fan of Stokke - they do some great stuff that saves your back.
    Well worth the money!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
    onoski likes this.
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  6. philipjlane

philipjlane New Member

Hi, I may be new here but I can help with this one. I worked for an office interiors company for several years!

The key questions are:
    1. Budget?
    2. Hours in chair?
    3. Do you care about the aesthetics?

If your budget can stretch to it the Aeron by Herman Miller is incredible. They can be picked up second hand on ebay for about £300, but come in 3 sizes so make sure to find the right one!

Another favorite is the G64 by Orangebox/Giroflex. This is the chair BBC News presenters sit in!

Give me a shout if you would like some more suggestions.

Cheers
    Phil

p.s. sorry no links - won't let me as I'm new.

7. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

Only had it a couple of months but it's definitely the nicest chair I have owned. I did have a look at those fancy mesh ones but I was more interested in a really plush leather "executive" chair with a big back. I'd give it a 9/10.

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks as the information is much appreciated:)

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks as this is helpful information:)