Good place to start ?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Ben, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Ben

Ben New Member

Hello,

I am trying to get my first job in networking.

I have been doing telephone support for computers for the past 15 months. Hardware and software questions fromstomers who buy their systems from 3 main UK retailers. TBH i hate it and am leaving on the 23/12/03.

Is the Network+ Certification a good place to start when trying to get your first job in networking ?

I have been looking a Novell CNA, they recommend doing the Network+ first.

Cheers for any information.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It worked for me. Probably the best combination of certs to get you going would be the A+, Network+, MCP, and CCNA more or less in that order. When I was taking the Cisco Academy coursework, the end of the fourth "semester" included a chapter on the Network+ material.

Network+ isn't as well known as the A+ but it does cover a broad range of networking material and, being vendor neutral, it isn't "married" to any particular company's product line.

As Sandy will tell you, the exam itself looks and feels like it was written and drawn by a pre-school class, but that doesn't matter if you can pass the thing.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Ben

It is a great exam and covers all of the basics you REALLY need to know.

Trip said it all!! I still have some of my old Network+ study materials on sale in Amazon if you want a cheap look at the study materials 8)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The price is right. :)

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

come on down (do they have that show in the USA)

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The original "The Price Is Right" originated on American television in the mid-1960s. The version where they said "Come on down" was on the air sometime ago (1990s?) but I have no idea if it's currently being aired. (and we're way off topic on this one). :?