Good Network+ books

Discussion in 'Network+' started by firestorm127, Nov 17, 2008.

1. firestorm127

firestorm127 New Member

Well I passed both A+ exams last week and know I'm onto studying for my network+ exam.

I already have one book that I got given by the learning center I am going to.

Can anyone recommend some good network+ books?

I've heard that Network+ Exam Cram 2 and Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide or Network plus passport are some good books. I just don't know which one to get.

I did get a copy of the Mike Myers A+ passport from my school. It did a pretty good job at explaining everything but not much information in the book was on the exam.

Any recommendations appreciated.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on your pass :)

When I did my Network+, I use this book (along with my work experience).

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  3. firestorm127

firestorm127 New Member

Is it for beginners or pros?

Computers aren't a new concept to me I've been repairing/building/maintaining computers for 6 years know but I'm a little new to network concepts.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Im using the Sybex book currently which is pretty good, but I shall be using Meyers All-in-one book also shortly

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep I will be using the Meyers book after the Groth one too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Speaking from experience, the I prefered the Groth book, but the Meyers N+ book is good as well.

I found Groth a little more direct, and involved. Perhaps the Meyers is a good book to start with, then the Groth book, although personally after about a week of the Meyers book I changed to the Groth and never looked back!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Used the Sybex book and the Myers All In One - I felt I understood the Myers book a bit more as the Sybex offering is a little dry in areas.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  9. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I used the Sybex book and the Mike Myers Network+ All in one initially. To revise I used the Network+ passport book, That was enough for me to pass the exam.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  10. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

I would NOT recommend MS Press books for CompTIA exams, as reviewers complain that they are not "vendor-neutral" towards the CompTIA exams.......take their Security+ book for example.

Anyways, for a complete list of study resources (including books) for the Network+, check out this thread: Network+ Study Resources (2005 Objectives) All-in-One Thread!

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  11. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Same thing I did for A+ - I used both the Sybex and the Mike Meyers A+ Passport (which is actually a condensed version of his all-in-one guide), along with the questions cd that came with the Sybex book, and it was all I ever needed to pass the A+. A month or so before my last exam (OS 220-302), a friend lent me her Mike Meyers All-in-One Study Guide along with the cd. So I used the practise questions on the cd and brushed up on the OS Technologies section of the book (which was similar, but slightly more in-depth than the Passport) and passed the exam!

So I guess I can safely say that the Sybex and Mike Meyers books both form the ultimate resources you'll ever need to pass the A+ and Network+ exam! 8)

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  12. Kapro

Kapro New Member

I'm studying for N+ myself right now and this is what I use:

*ExamCram2 Network+/Harwood & Bird

*ExamCram2 Network+ practice questions /Charles Brooks

*The Animated CompTIA Network+ Certification Video Course. GREAT stuff :thumbleft. The price is a steal: US$ 39,99.
    And no, I'm not working for these people.
    http://www.powercert.com/

I did a lot of searching before choosing the above mentioned stuff. I'm very satisfied with my choices.

Certifications: CompTia A+, Network+, MCDST, Itil v3
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Missed this thread the 1st time around. I used the book that Ken recommended also, the actual same book. It's still on the shelf in our office. :) I liked it, good book. Can't compare it to any others as that's the only one I used.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm pretty sure that if we moved that book now, the top shelf that book is supporting will just fall off the wall :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Perhaps stacking the shevles 7 high so we could call each one after the different OSI layers was too much? :)

DON'T TOUCH THE PHYSICAL OR DATA LINK LAYERS!! YOU'LL KILL US ALL!!! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  16. firestorm127

firestorm127 New Member

Just in case anyone is wondering I ended up getting the sybex network+ book.

I find it does a pretty good job at explaining the stuff.

I was planning on taking the exam eather in the middle of December or early January. Hopefully I can pass it on my first or second try because it would be a disaster to wait to long to take the Net+ and find out the 2005 version is no longer aviable and then have to go back buy all new books and spend 2-3 months studying for it again.

17. Robroy

Robroy Bit Poster

Yes, Powercert has an awesome animated video course.

18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'd aim to pass it first time, CompTIA exams can be very pricey compared to others.

If the objectives to change though it's not as bad as you may think. Most of the old information will still be perfectly valid, you just may need to seek out new information on the things they have added to the updated objectives. There is usually a guide on the CompTIA website explaining exactly what has changed.

19. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

I'm using the Meyers book, Its a bit hard going to start, and weighs a tonne, but it's set out well and is very concise.
    I also have MCSE Network Essentials study guide, for reference of course.... Its a very good book with loads of information, and you don't need massive biceps to pick it up.

Certifications: C&G IT System Support, A+ Certification
  20. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

I had no problems with the Sybex's book on N+ (and i-net+/linux+). Then again, I was in the middle of a TCP/IP course
    in school at the same time, so which one really gave me the knowledge to pass the Network+ I suppose
    could be a mistery.

Guess having more then 1 source of study would be a good bet, but if you can't afford 2 or 3 books
    I'd go with Sybex.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662