Good Morning

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Liam8, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Liam8

Liam8 New Member

Hello and good morning,

I thought I'd stop by and introduce myself. I'm Liam and I'm new

I've been working in IT for the last 5 years doing temp contracts and agency work and as yet have no formal IT qualifications.

I might some enquiries with the Home Learning College and had a visit from one of their advisors, he was a nice chap and said that with my previous work experience I wouldn't have any trouble doing the MCSE.

He quoted £2649 for the full MCSE package and as I'm unemployed at the moment and have never done home learning before I'm a bit stuck.

Would anyone know of any bursaries available as the job centre were less than helpful. Also anyone with any experience of home learning or MCSE qualifications please get in touch

Many Thanks In Advance

:)

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

self study, don't bother paying someone to give you books.

look around this forum at how many would suggest this over paying a TP

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Do yourself a favour and buy the MS press books and start learning at your own pace. You can save yourself a lot of £££ as well as heart ache. You can also invest in a one of two reasonable computers from Ebay and install VMWare for virtualisation and get as much hands on practice.

Best wishes and welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Another vote for self study.

The recommended path is CompTIA A+, then the Network+ and then Microsoft's MCDST cert.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Got to agree with the rest. Don't pay someone lots of money to do home study when you will get just as much out of self study and forums like here and will save a load in return. Buy yourself some good books from Amazon, a HP ML115 server (If you can get hold of one for £200), a Technet subscription (giving you access to all of Microsoft's software and install ESXi (free) or Hyper-V to install multiple Operating Systems on for a testing rig.

As you have experience you should be ok to go down this route. Saying that MCSE is a lot of work and I had the best intentions of doing my MCSE but stopped after gaining my MCSA as I burned myself out as it's a lot of work. I've now put that to bed and am doing the new certs so maybe starting with something easier to manage first like MCDST or a MCTS might be a better option before you tackle the MCSE.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

save your money by buying books and do self study.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP,MCSA
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Also a +1 for self-study. You're far enough in IT to be able to do it all on your own, it'll be cheaper.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. CPLTD

CPLTD Bit Poster

Welcome Aboard Liam:)

10. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+