Good afternoon

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by seano09, Apr 24, 2015.

1. seano09

seano09 New Member

Hi all,

Thought I'd join you guys on here.

I graduated from Uni three years ago with a 1st in Business Information Systems. Ended up in a Technical/IT Support role and loving it so far however I don't have long term plans to stay here forever due to career progression.

Currently studying ITIL, started last week and been putting in some ridiculous hours.

Sort of plan then to go down the CCENT -> CCNA route, maybe a MCSA 2012.

I'm familiar with Cisco switches and Servers running 2012 on a day to day basis. Feel like I need some certifications to start progressing and prove some knowledge.

Sean

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good introduction, welcome to certforums

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums, good to see you here.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Welcome, ITIL is a good one to start with, it gives you an idea of why business follow the processes that they do, word of warning, it's a dry subject but actually is pretty much common sense at the foundation level.
    Word of advice about the CCNA \ MCSA, these aren't entry level certs, they are also certs that I would steer clear of if you aren't going to be using the technology on a daily basis moving on.
    At this stage in your career you probably now need to decide if you want to stick with servers or move in to a networking role and take that path from a certifications perspective. Concentrate on it and move on up.
    Further along your career you may decide to go back and approach the alternative subject certifications (I am thinking a virtualisation career here where it encompasses a multi discipline environment covering servers, storage, networks etc and having that knowledge is very important moving beyond simple networking\server admin roles).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. seano09

seano09 New Member

Cheers for the info. Really do appreciate it.
    Totally agree on ITIL, hopefully taking the exam in the next few weeks.
    I'll probably end up going down the Network route for now as we seem to have daily issues.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You and me both with the network issues ;) luckily I don't manage that team (I wouldn't want to tbh).

Good luck with everything you do.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA