going to war part 2

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Aug 18, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK folks im still having trouble with all this spyware

I found the file and deleted it from windows itself and the desktop went back to nnormal for about 5 mins. Then the red screen came back and i couldnt get access to my properties on the desktop.

Ive turned off system restore and have installed macafee antivirus aswell as using spybot search and destroy.

Is there anything i am missing here ???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

if you've done the anti-virus scan and the spyware scan, then there could potentially be windows files that are infected or got deleted with the spyware removal.

Have you tried repairing windows with OS cd?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

right buddy i dont trust those.. so im gonna recommend my tools of trade to you:

Hijack This

NOD32 - 30 day free trial

Download the NOD and ill help you set it up..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. zxspectrum

Cheers both of you , Zimbo is hijack this as good as or better than C Cleaner, as i was going to try that .

Daft question time, how would a virus recreate itself when deleted, bearing in mind ive taken off restore. Im thinking maybe its stored somewhere else thats hidden.

Ed

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's still running somewhere in the background where you can't see it. Every time you delete it, it'll come back unless you can somehow track down what's putting the virus back.

...multiply that times 180, and you'll see why I suggested a wipe and reinstall. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ed if you want to try another free malware remval tool before commiting yourself to a format in re-install, you could try Adaware2007

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

There is no one program that can remove all instances of malware, so sometimes you need to use more than one to clean a system.

I do agree though, that even if the infection appears to be removed, there may well be traces lurking in the system somewhere. Only a format and reinstall can satisfy me that they are all gone. However, this i a very time consuming way to go about it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try taking the PC offline when doing a spyware scan, also try a scan in safe mode.

Does the desktop wallpaper turn red btw when the spyware kicks in? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zxspectrum

Yeah its telling me i need to get rid and every 2 mins or so a window come up telling me i have a trojan called looksky, there are three types of window that open up as well all wanting me to pay for their product etc.

Ill be having a go tomorrow as last night i drank way too much and im feeling so rough., but thanks for your input everyone.

Ed

9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I would try using www.hitmanpro.nl as it downloads several different spyware removal tools.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  10. zxspectrum

Well thought id better let you know i got rid of the program.

I used hijackthis which was suggested by zimbo, but i didnt get to put the NOD32 on which he suggested as im still waiting for a password from NOD themselves.

Thank you to everyone who suggested things to do in regards to this matter , you have made me look like a genius .8)

Ed

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

zx, i was under the impression that highjackthis just gave a detailed report of you registry entries etc.. usually you need to read through the report to try and establish which entries are the bogus ones, a task that requiers an extensive knowledge of the registry.

I didnt think it actually fixed anything, unless things have changed?

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The Hijackthis report has a set of tickboxes to allow you to delete stuff wihout actualy running regedit yourself.

Makes things a lot easier!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Harry!