Going for an MCSA and need advice

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Donn, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Donn

Donn New Member

Hi there,

I already have a number of certs, namely A+, Network+, Win2k Professional (70-210), and Win2k Server (70-215). What I would like to know is which exam should I take next?
    I think I should take 70-218 am I right, or is there an alternative route to an MCSA 2000?

Thanks in advance

Donn :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-210, 70-215
    WIP: 70-218
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This should help you out mate

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/requirements.mspx

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ummm i replied on your welcome note... i think you need to look into that... Windows 2000 exams wont be around much longer.. :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I did the 2k route before I did the upgrade exams, yes do the 70-218. You have to anyway as the 70-218 is a core exam. I not sure however if the A+ & Network+ count as an elective for the MCSA 2000 (I know it still counts as an elective for the 2k3 route). To find out e-mail the MCP helpdesk for a straight answer. If the A+ & N+ still count towards the MCSA 2k, register them with MS, and as soon as you finish the 70-218 you'll be a MCSA. However if the A+ & N+ do not count towards the MCSA 2k route any more, you'll still have to do the 70-218, but you'll have to do another exam, if you have experience with Exchange then I would recommend doing one of the exchange exams, either the 224 or the 284, if not the Server+ exam may be easier. But then again "easy" is a fuzzy term, what maybe easy for one person, may be hard for another.

Anyway, hope this helps.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Donn

Donn New Member

Hi there,

Thanks for all the info

Yes I did think the 218 was the right exam to do, I just wanted to be 100% sure. You never know with Microsoft do you.

I checked the Windows 2000 certification planner and according to it I have satisfied the elective requirement with my A+ and Network+, as well as achieving the 1 client OS exam I need and also 1 of the 2 core exams. The other one is the 218 exam which I have yet to do. So yes if everything on Microsoft's cert planner is correct I should have a 2000 MCSA after I have passed the 218 exam.

I have done this and it shows on my MCP Transcript

If however things turn out differently with regards to my electives, then yes I realise I will have to do another exam. That will most probably be the Security+, as I have wanted to do this one for a while now.

Thanks for all your help and advice, everything seems much clearer now, at last. BTW I'd Better get my head down and pass this exam before Bill changes his mind. Also what's the email address for the MCP helpdesk, I might email them just to make sure and finally get some much needed peace of mind.

Donn :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-210, 70-215
    WIP: 70-218
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

[email protected]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!