God bless Certforums

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ray213, May 21, 2008.

1. ray213

ray213 New Member

Hi all,

Just like to begin by thanking everyone on these forums. Before i stumbled onto here i was ready to give a company called computrain £3000 for MCSE training, with job guarantee blah blah blah!!I thought it sounded to good to be true; £23000 starting salary for someone with relatively no experience ha. Thanks to you guys i have seen the light but still feel like a bit of an idiot because they had me hook, line and almost sinker

Anyway i would like to ask 2 questions:

1. Has anybody else had any experiences with computrain?

2. Most of you seem to be advocates of self learning and starting out with A+ and networking+. Say I was to do 15-20 hours home learning how long would it take to complete these two certs and what other certs would i need before i could think about a job in IT?

Thanks in advance

Ray

2. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

God Bless Certforums indeed! I was exactly in the same boat looking at training providers and I stumbled across this site. Great Advice by everyone on here gave me the self study route, which is what I am currently doing at the moment. I never had Computrain's chat but I had others and it just didn't seem right for me.

As for the time taken to complete a cert, it depends how quickly you learn and your current knowledge, it took me about 9 months to do the A+ but that was down to me studying in a particular way, I'm much quicker now. You'll get out what you put in.

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Exactly the same here. I inherited a small amount of money a while ago and was all set to hand it over to some training provider or another (can't even remember who it was now) with all the same promised bollox, then happened across this place so I put the brakes on that. I am now starting a life of My Name Is Cockles as surely that was good karma paying me back.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The amount of time it takes is entirely dependent on you, your learning style, your current knowledge, and your past experiences, among other factors. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you how long YOU should take. You might not need any time at all; you might need years. I'd have no way of knowing.

You can get an entry-level IT job even without certifications. Certifications merely give you an advantage over others with the same amount of experience. So, start looking now while you study for the A+. After you get the A+, add it to your CV and keep studying. After the A+, I'd recommend Network+ and the MCDST, but no farther until you build some real-world IT experience.

Welcome! Glad the forums have been useful to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Yes like you and probably most of the members here I saw the TV ad and had a salesman round to tell me a load of Bull.

We've all been there and it was only through Google that I found this website while looking for feedback on computrain. Because according to CT every person who trains with them is on big money and a high flying career. I wanted to do IT Help desk and learn MCSDT, CT said that I would be wasting my time and should go for MCSE because that's where the jobs and the money is!:dry

This time next I'll be millionaire they said (just like del boy):rolleyes:

All they wanted was £5K:ohmy

:hhhmmm that's a tricky one! It depends on the person and their commitments, some have done A+ in 2 months others almost 2 years:oops:

You don't have to go with a training provider, there's enough info here on CF to help you and if you get stuck just ask! Also you can use training videos from the web, some are free and shown on youtube!:biggrin8)

IMHO CT are a bunch of rip off artist who are selling overpriced self-paced training courses. There's no guarantee you will pass or get the job, but if you search this forum you will find lots of story's of people who got into debt with them and that's something you can be sure of them..getting into debt!:x

Whatever you decide goodluck!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+