Goals for 2015

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

It's this time of the year again when we take stock of where we are and what we want to do in the new year...

As for me...

1. Some sort of Project Management cert... Left over from this year
    2. Microsoft Certified Educator... Again a left over from this year
    3. Maybe new job

What are your goals for next year?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    jk2447 likes this.
  2. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

On the job experience will be my focus for 2015 but I would like to attend the BCS Enterprise and Solution Architecture course. I am not sure if I will attend any technical courses yet but I would like to maintain my Vmware studies, but who knows. One day I would like to do my Masters but that's years off I think. Kids are too young and I enjoy my down time too much these days

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    wagnerk likes this.
  3. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

Looking to complete MCSA 2008 and 2012. Just need to stay focus.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), Network+, MCSA:2003, MCTS:Win7,640,642
    WIP: 70-410
    wagnerk likes this.
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think I'll finish my MCSE, maybe get some certs for Sonicwall, Storagecraft and VMware.

But I've got 6 novels coming out next year, so I'll keep an eye on them first. Lol.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    wagnerk and dales like this.
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Office 365
    Server 2012
    SharePoint 2013
    Rebuild Life :)
    Drink Beer :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    wagnerk likes this.
  6. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

1. New job
    2. VMware VCP (if i can find No.1 for the training course)
    3. MCSA 2012 (maybe MCSE)
    4. CCNA
    5. ITIL

all dependent one No.1

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
    wagnerk likes this.
  7. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I think I will possibly be forced to a new job, as I work on site for an out source company and contract expires in April, but before that I really want to complete CCNA, ITIL and also Prince2. I have done all the studying trainign for CCNA, but need to book exams, and I have courses on ITIL and Prince 2 planned within my company before the end of Febuary so provided they don't get cancelled then should be an interesting start to the year. Beyond that I would like to start looking to CCNP as well.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    wagnerk likes this.
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I'm going to try and get the elusive VCP-DT, I keep studying for it but I'm too busy to book an exam at the moment, I might have a go at the VCAP-DT as well, Theres a few NetScaler exams I'm going to do as well and what ever else takes my fancy.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    wagnerk likes this.
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Okey Dokey, I have a serious answer. And this is a 12 month plan, though I am considering expanding it to 18 months on the cert side. And I'm vocalising it because... well, it's ambitious. But I have a patient partner and a brain that appears to have woken up from some dragon-like slumber, so I'm going to feed it before it goes back to sleep.

Books:
    Graces #2 #3 (to complete a trilogy), 4 x Great Bitten short stories, Everfell #1 #2 #3 (to complete a contracted trilogy) Great Bitten #3 #4 #5 (to complete a contracted pentalogy) building in 2 months break. This is around 800K words. I *have* to complete three of these to satisfy publishing contracts, the rest is to keep up momentum. If we push it to 18 months, that includes another 2 short stories, 1 x suspense horror, 1 x slasher horror, and one dystopian-type horror thriller.

Certs:
    70-412 | 413 | 414 to complete my MCSE:IS
    70-335 and 70-338 for Lync 2013
    70-346 | 347 | 341 | 342 for MCSE:Messaging
    VCA-Cloud | VCA-NV | VCA-DCV

I've left out a few, but I think, with the foot to the floor, I can get that bunch in 12 - 18 months, then look at the others I have an interest in. I have a plan, and it's as hot as my pants (as Flasheart would say). It may or may not be to rule the world.

To do this, I have the following outlined:

I'm getting a Surface Pro 3. This is to consolidate all my ebooks (on the Kindle) my apps (on my computer) and portability (on my tablet) onto one learning device. That's the excuse I've used, anyway. I already annotate heavily using tools like Evernote and being able to port something around that will allow me to write and learn effectively on the fly will be a great hand.

I write at a rate of 6K words an hour, when I really try. I can dictate up to 8K words an hour. Effectively, I could write a book in a day (and I'm considering doing that as a marketing stunt in 2016) but I need to basically write a book a month. That shouldn't be an issue, for the main point that absolutely all of the books planned for 2015 are *fully* planned, to a fine point, as far as plot is concerned.

Then onto certs.
    I have a Safari Books subscription (the new one) and I'm starting to really get some use out of that, especially the new model with the training videos - very handy. Also, heavily leaning through Microsoft Virtual Academy and CBT Nuggets, which I've also subscribed to, to get full access to their library of vids. Yes, the monthly cost is a hit, but it's a short term hit for a long term gain.

I will get the support of my work for the actual exams themselves, and will get a couple of study days per each.
    I will probably consider doing some exams on the same day, especially where there might be some overlap in context.

I know that, when I fully set my mind to something, I don't let it go; it always gets achieved. I feel like something in my brain has snapped, and right now, I need to take advantage of that. I had long forgotten what this felt like, and it's such a great place to be in, motivationally.

I hope 2015 finds you all happy and well :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I passed my Certified Ethical Hacking exam just before Christmas. I now want to work toward CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) certification.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
    Arroryn likes this.
  11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Umm have a check but I am lead to believe that if you have the CISSP you can't do any CEH work, something some Security guys I know told me about (it's to do with the CISSP and the restrictions that places on you to maintain the CISSP).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My goals for 2015 are to get my VCP-NV and my VCAP-DCA\DCD, I may also look at the CCNA R&S as well as DC

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I dunno...
    I guess I need to bone up on MS CRM 2015, although the 2103 Certs are still finding their feet,

I've also downgraded to MCT Alumni, as they have re-introduced the minimum requirements for MOC delivery now.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

these are my goals,

get a job

fitness/body building goals,

make a positive outcome and make my employer everyone proud.

get a better car.

upgrade mcitp to mcse

make the haters hate more, :)

15. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i think Im going to get some certifications behind me, network plus, windows 8. I think i will need to start looking for another job as where I am will only be helpdesk, there isnt much room for progression as were only a small place, plus i know about a possible job coming up around July, so i want to be in with a shout.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff mate - must admit I've not seen much demand for Windows 8 certs as yet.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Neither have I Sparky, however it was mentioned in my PDR that they would look into paying for it so i just nodded ha ha

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  18. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

1. Write more labs
    2. Write more labs
    3. Write more labs
    4. Swear less when stuff don't work

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  19. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

1 cool
    2 cool
    3 cool
    4 not a snowball in hells chance

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
    Arroryn likes this.
  20. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

MCITP Windows 7 (Going through QA as work are paying for this),
    CompTIA Network+,
    MCSA Server 2012,
    I'd like to do the CompTIA Linux+ too but that's more just for me rather than work.